“Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.” ~ Lao Tzu
If you feel frustrated with life and the fact that we do not get enough oomph out of it, don’t despair!
You are not alone. Many people find it difficult to get more energy and excitement out of their daily lives. In this time we live in we are expected to be always switched on and ready for action. We grab a snack as we leave the house in the morning. From that time onwards our every second are filled with email, meetings, clients, kids, more email and for a few lucky ones gym and then sleep. Tomorrow it starts all over again.
Do you feel the need to get more energy and excitement out of life? Then you have to slow down and take action. Sounds conflicting? Did your ego just tell you that you will not be able to slow down because there are 100 things on your to-do list?
See my point? So what kind of actions can we put in place in order to take our life back? Here are 10 I came across:
1. Do less. Cut back on your projects, on your task list. Focus on quality. Pick 2-3 important things — or even just one important thing — and work on those first, but give you time to focus.
2. Have fewer meetings. Meetings are generally a waste of time. Try and find out exactly what the agenda is for each meeting and see if it is possible to cut it in half. What are the 20% that you have to meet about and let the rest be discussed through other methods.
3. Know that if it doesn’t get done, it’s OK. Some of the stresses that are in our lives we put on ourselves. Sometime a project or task can wait.
4. Make sure you do the 20% of tasks that makes 80% impact. We get into the habit of focusing on the 80% tasks that makes 20% impact. If you start focusing on the important 20% you will be able to free up some of your time.
5. Look at your commitments. Start saying no. This can sometimes be very difficult. However we need to be able to say no to commitment to free up energy and time.
6. Clear you email inbox. I am guilty of this to. Having unread and read email in your inbox clogs up your screen, but also your mind. Start clearing some of that email. Arrange it in different folders and make sure as you read your email you move it to the designated folder.
7. Wake up earlier. I know this is a difficult thing to do. We are moving into winter and waking up earlier is the last thing on our mind. The benefits here outweigh the negatives however. When we wake up an hour before our normal time we have an extra hour every day. What will you do with this extra time? Create a ritual. Light a candle, pray, meditate and read. Do whatever you need to do but use this time to start the day of well.
8. Solitude. This is a highly forgotten little gem. Being alone and free from everyone and everything is one of the most precious habits that we can cultivate. Our minds need solitude to be able to rest and for us to listen to that inner voice. Make sure that there will not be any disturbances for about 30 – 60 minutes each day. Use this time to reflect on your values and objectives.
9. Walk barefoot. This might seem strange or “new-agey” but try it. Walking barefoot on grass, ground or any other surface will connect us with mother earth and can energize us.
10. Use your senses to live in each moment. The past and the future are visions of our imagination. It is not reality. The moment you live in now will never be exactly the same again. It is thus important for us to appreciate each moment. When you bite into that crunching apple, make sure that you see the beautiful colour, you smell the fresh green aroma, you taste the juices and you hear the crunching sound as you nibble on it. Use your senses to live fully in each moment. This will give you a richer experience and will bring back that oomph into your life.
A bonus one. Appreciate the little things in live. Look forward to your kids kisses and hugs. Be grateful that you have food each day and a roof over your head. When you buy that chocolate make sure you appreciate it fully. Live for that moment when you can smell the hair of your loved one.
We need to take charge of our lives. We need to be the captain of our ship. What is absolutely amazing to know is that each of us has the potential to change our life around.
Take back your OOMPH now! Live life fully and get excited and passionate about each second.
‘The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth, dwelling deeply in the present moment and feeling truly alive.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh