A Cult Becomes a Religion – Rebuttal
Although I admire the writing skills of ‘The Shepherd’, manure remains manure even when it is beautifully scented. The author makes certain claims regarding Islam and doesn’t provide any supporting evidence – the entire article is a bunch of subjective misinformed perceptions of Islam. Now before you accept my claims regarding this lost shepherd’s straying, do I not need to qualify my statements?
1. “Islam ticks all the boxes” – Kindly specify which boxes? Or does it tick your arbitrarily defined definition of a cult? I may as well say, “The shepherd ticks all the boxes that’s why he is a member of the sheep minded, grass eating cult.” (For this actual cult in action check out Facebook)
2. “Divine mandate to slaughter the infidels” – I guess the majority of the 1.2 billion Muslims are sleeping hypocrites who have either misunderstood their Sacred Book or ignored their duty of slaughtering. Perhaps we are waiting for the Shepherd to provide the lambs for the slaughter?
3. “Notwithstanding the essential element of Islamic recruitment - violence and accompanied duress, without which, today Islam would be some obscure cult on the periphery……..” Conveniently the self-proclaimed Islamic expert herded over: “Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth has been made clear from error.” (The Quran) “If it had been your Lord’s will, all of the people on Earth would have believed. Would you then compel the people so to have them believe?” (The Quran) The shepherd chasing the wandering myth of ‘Islam or the sword’ – Who forced the first Muslims in Makkah? Who coerced the people of Madinah to protect Muhammed (P.B.U.H) ? When the Mongols conquered the Islamic lands and could have wiped out Islam who did they fear when they embraced Islam? Before you decide to slaughter a lamb, is it not prudent to inspect it's current and past health thoroughly?
4. “Islam simply cannot be sustained without the perpetual intimidation and prohibition ……blah blah” – Ever heard about the Baytul Hikmah(House of Wisdom)? Go Google! Al Ma’arri- the atheist who survived under the Muslim Caliphate that in your understanding should have been slaughtered. Whereas Christianity in the West could not survive intellectual criticism thus the birth of secularism, Islam openly encourages intellectual debate. How else will one distinguish truth from falsehood?
5. Secularized Democracy – So Islam doesn’t advocate Democracy. So what? Plato, Socrates and many other intellectuals didn’t either. "Are those who know equal to those who do not know?"(The Quran). Democracy says yes, reason says no.(I guess one sheep’s meh is as good as another’s) Please don’t attribute another lie to the innocent soul of Jesus (P.B.U.H) that he preached Democracy. “It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.” Has the West tried Islam?
6. Births and Islam – Really? Most sheep have white wool! What is so exceptional about the simple fact that in most cases children follow the religion of their parents? "But we found our forefathers doing the same."(Quran) – This is the answer of the idolaters to Muhammed (P.B.U.H) when he tried to REASON with them. Islam requires it’s devotees to examine its claims and then choose Islam – that is true faith contrary to blind faith.
7. “But Islam is incredibly insecure for a faith that claims to be the final revelation of the Creator.” Here are some bold claims of the ‘insecure faith’ : “Do they not then consider the Qur'an carefully? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much contradictions.”(The Quran). “:And if you are in doubt concerning that which We have sent down (i.e. the Qur'an) to Our slave (Muhammad Peace be upon him ), then produce a Surah (chapter) of the like thereof and call your witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allah, if you are truthful.”(The Quran). This challenge still stands 1400 years later. It’s not as if the substantial non-Muslim Arab communities have not tried (one wonders how they survived if it was Islam or the sword) to meet this challenge. Firstly this challenge was addressed to the Arabs when Muhammed (pbuh) was in a position of weakness. He was being persecuted in Makkah, all the Arabs had to do was produce a simple chapter that could equal the Quran and Islam would be history. They never could, despite their expertise in their language. So when a Muslim takes the Quran as the literal word of Allah, preserved in its form since the time Muhammed (pbuh) recited the beautiful coherent verses it’s not blind faith. Yes, you may disagree but please produce your evidence to the contrary instead of just feeding us grass.
The rest of your article continues in making claim after claim after claim……. With not a shred of proof in sight.
Is truth not supreme? Islam isn’t always in agreement with liberalism thus it is not compatible with liberalism.
Can you prove the dogma that Liberalism is the only truth, the only practical way of life, the answer to humanity’s condition? As far as Islam is concerned, Liberalism is just the latest prevailing fashion which shall be discarded as soon as the latest ism takes its place.
You and Sam Harris have not studied Islam objectively; you take what suites your agenda and conveniently ignore the rest. So keep on ranting against your straw man……
“They desire to extinguish with their mouths, the light of Allah; but Allah will perfect His light, though the unbelievers be averse.” (The Quran)