I live in a world gone mad, blind with the drunkenness of rights without responsibilities, a gimme society that says "You owe me" so I'll just help myself. It's making me savage.
The savage in me says the death penalty must be reinstated. I agree with "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" and a "life for a life" (the last not Biblical I suppose). I agree with retributive justice which is Biblical - pay back what you have stolen, robbed or destroyed (at least 7 times). Are these savage thoughts? Or just a cry for justice?
Daily headlines scream:
- Young matric girl shot dead in front of her house in hijacking
- Siblings shot in attempted murder
- 14 year old girl gang-raped and the act videoed
- 94 year old raped
- Woman bludgeoned to get her to change her will
But we are so focused on human rights, ag shame, the poor perpetrator had such a bad upbringing you can't blame him so give him a warning, let him out on bail, free him from incarceration long before his time is up.
In my view, a perpetrator should lose his or her human rights just as he has deprived someone innocent of theirs - their right to live, their right to own property, their right to freedom from fear.
It's time we stopped turning the other cheek, and time we hit back - hard. Time we supported our police force instead of making them into nancy boys who have no power, time we stood together as communities to root out the evil that is in out midst.
- Well done, to the parents of teenage girls who were party to a brutal hijacking and refused to allow them back into the family - we need more of the same.
- Well done, to the young teenage boy who killed a robber who had stabbed his mother and his sister - we need more of the same.
- Well done, to the warrant officer who nabbed three wanted criminals after a high speed chase - we need more of the same.
- Down with high powered and corrupt politicians who have no morals, out to fleece their supporters and the voters at large with promises of a better life for all - all of them they mean!
- Down with powermongers who speak with forked tongue.
- Down with entitlement on the basis of race or gender. Let the only discriminator be merit!
- Down with lawyers who extol their clients' virtues and reperpetrate crimes on the victims by doing so.
- Bring back corporal punishment in schools - bring back the cane and six of the best - they never killed anybody.
- Give parents back their rights of discipline.
- Stop encouraging immoral behaviour by handing out condoms to school kids.
- Enforce responsibilities before rights or we will drown in the cesspool of our iniquities.
God help the savage in me that cries for retribution and justice.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.