The Christmas holidays are finally upon us, and while it is meant to be a time of bliss and relaxation, plumbing and electrical emergencies can cut your holidays short. Of0ten compounding this is the unavailability of skilled tradesmen, turning a bad situation into a nightmare.
Below is a list compiled by the staff of The Plumber Bro's, on preventative measures to take before you go away these holidays:
- Turn the water supply to your house off. This can be done at the main valve. It is advised that one of the first things you do when moving into a new home is know where your shut off valve is. These shut off valves are normally by the kitchen outside wall, or if you have a water meter, it should be just before or after the water meter. In the event of a burst pipe or geyser, this can drastically reduce the damage and associated municipal bills.
- Know your fuse box. Unplug all non-essential appliances and electronics (as well as your phone lines), and isolate the electricity at the fuse box. The only appliances you want to keep running are:
- Your fridge / freezer (If you have to),
- Your alarm system (If it doesn’t run on batteries)
- The outside lights + electric fence (Security).
This not only helps reduce electrical leakage (Which increases your electrical bill), but December is synonymous with electrical storms and lightning strikes. For all essential appliances, it is recommended that you connect them to a surge protector plug (Available from most hardware stores or online) to minimize damage.
- Another problematic area home owner’s face when on holiday, is crime. We spoke to a few security companies, and got these tips for the readers of this article:
- Keep your outside lights on. This will deter criminals who are looking for an easy target.
- If you aren’t going away for a long duration, try and keep your dogs at home. If you are unable to get a friend or neighbour to come daily to feed them and bring water, enquire at your local kennels. Some of them provide a home service, which also provides an opportunity for someone to keep an eye on your property.
- Let your security company know that you are going away. They will ensure that their patrols periodically look around your property for signs of a break-in.
If all implemented properly, your holiday should be as stress free as intended. We here at The Plumber Bro’s wish you a merry Christmas, and may 2014 be a good one for you!
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.