Dear Mr President,
I watched with great interest the speech you delivered to the traditional leaders yesterday and found your idea of crime in South Africa rather curious.
Since you believe that South Africa is NOT a violent country, I would like to pose some questions to you that you probably won't answer.
1. Did you know that according to Stats SA, well over 15 000 people die due to violent crime in South Africa - annually.
2. Do you listen to the people you lead when they say that they are constantly living in fear and are tired of the endless and senseless violence in this country?
3. Could you honestly say that you would feel safe in South Africa if you didn't have your bodyguards, motorcades and high walls at any one of your humble abodes?
4.If South Africa is not a violent country, then why are our police force under constant scrutiny for their violence on the citizens they are meant to protect?
5. Do you know that crime affects everyone is South Africa and not just the whites as media would sometimes have you believe?
6. What is your plan to stop the bleeding in this country other than to pin the all the crime in South Africa on apartheid?
7. Having heard the statement made by one of the eight policemen responsible for the death of Mr Macia, saying that he did not complain of pain or discomfort after dragging him behind their police van for four hundred meters, does that not show you what that your police force are inept and dangerous?
8. Knowing what the assailants that raped, disemboweled and as a result killed Anene Booysens not give you an idea of what our "non violent" country and country men is capable of?
Finally Mr President, where have you been living for the past 10 years? The reason I ask is that your head seems to be in the clouds while all citizens (including myself) are begging you for your help in stopping this scourge.
I trust I can expect an honest and speedy response to my questions. That's if you don't have to solve issues of countries elsewhere first.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.