CANADIAN FISHERIES DATA DIRECTLY REFUTE SEAL CULL MYTH IFAW
1) Canadian fisheries minister intent on spending $35 million on the machine gunning and incineration of 220*000 grey seals.
2) Research has indicated that it is not necessary to cull grey seals nor any of the predators to assist with ground fish stock recovery
3) The idea of spending millions to kill grey seals is absolutely ludicrous, especially given the lack of evidence that would actually result in any benefit to fish stocks or fishermen.
4) Ever since Brian Toby (wrongly) fingered harp seals for causing the collapse of the cod fishery, Promises to kill seals have proven to be a perennial favourite for Atlantic Canadian politicians.
5) In our rush to open commercial fisheries, killing seals continues to be promoted as a quick and dirty solution to problems created by fisheries mismanagement and political ambition.
6) but now the evidence is appearing that culling seals could have a number of unintended and unexpected consequence. A cull of grey seals such as currently being considered by the department of fisheries and Oceans, is not supported by scientific evidence and would be cruel, costly, to Canadian taxpayers, and potentially disastrous for marine ecosystems.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION GOOGLE: CANADIAN GREY SEAL CULL: Plan to cull 70*000 grey seals gets senate approval 9 entriesNote: Proposed machine gun to cull grey seals. Several other sites on google and international aversion and disgust.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.