Do you support the Death Penalty?
As a 29 Year old South African that has faced various forms of crime over the last 15 years I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I support the Death Penalty. Unlike many of my Peers I will tell you why I support it along with guidelines that you should consider before making a decision on this matter.
I have made a video that states exactly why I support the Death Penalty along with reasons why it is needed in the country. If you would like to view the video instead of reading my opinions below then copy paste this link into your browser to be redirected to my video on Youtube:
- In South Africa we have over 50 Murders a day. That is the highest murder rate in the world. The worst part is that this is for a population of 50 million people VS less than 20 murders a day in the USA for 340 Million People.
- In South Africa your life is worth the Cellphone in your pocket compared to more sophisticated murders in 1st World Countries where they kill for far more than a R100 – R4000 cellphone. You cannot solve 3rd World Problems with a 1st World Mentality. For that simple reason relying on prison to rehabilitate prisoners isn’t the way to go in South African prisons.
- In 1994 with most of the black population suffering under really bad living conditions the murder rate was FAR lower than it is now with millions being pulled into a middle class household. This should clearly indicate that the Socio Economic conditions don’t matter when asking whether we should focus on improving that instead of harsher punishments.
- In South Africa we have one of the highest Poverty Rates in the World, a lot of people in South Africa live on one meal a day. If they had to commit a crime they will be assured of a roof over their heads and 3 meals a day. For many people prison is seen as a reward and an assured ticket to a full stomach. Above all of this the tax payer is the one that foots the bill. As a Tax payer I sure as hell don’t want to reward someone with 3 meals a day for committing a crime.
- The Death Penalty should only be applicable if the following crimes are committed: MURDER, RAPE and CHILD MOLESTATION.
- A lot of people will argue that the Death Penalty doesn’t deter serious crime, well to that my answer would be “So what”? The point of the Death Penalty is to rid society of the people that cannot peacefully live within its realm. If you are willing to take someone’s life then you forfeit your right to live.
Who are we to kill someone you ask? Well who are we to decide whether someone should stay in prison for the rest of their lives? That should answer all the people who state that we cannot decide someone’s fate in that regard.
- Putting someone to death might be more expensive to the tax payer than life imprisonment but at least I know my tax money is being used for good instead of rewarding criminals with three meals a day.
- The Justice System is completely separated from Government so if you are concerned about the ANC using the Death Penalty to forward their own agenda then rest assured, our constitution is rated as one of the best in the world and because of that it’s impossible for the Justice System to play in favor of any political party or any government.
We also have some of the best judges in the world and we do not rely on a jury system so we don’t have to consider uneducated jury making a decision on someone’s life.
- What about innocent people being found guilty when in fact innocent and accidentally put to death? Well you can easily prevent that by providing the person with a year to bring a case in front of the court after they were found guilty. This gives them adequate time to build up a defense if they were wrongfully convicted.
A month before the execution date their case will be heard and the verdict will stand or be changed. It’s also very important to note that it should be proven beyond ANY doubt that the person committed the crime.
- For the last point I would like to give you a worst case scenario. Let’s say someone is found guilty when in fact innocent, they will spend a life sentence in jail regardless. A life sentence in any South African prison IS a death sentence with HIV/AIDS and other deadly illnesses being part of daily life.
Then above that Rape and violence in South African prisons is a cold reality. So would you rather be put to death or be constantly raped for 15 years along getting deadly diseases like AIDS?
The above are all reasons why I completely support the Death Penalty in South Africa. I know that there are various opinions on this topic and I would please ask of you to comment on this article and state why you are for or against the Death Penalty. Thank You for your Time.