Silly season for us humans
Sad season for man's best friend.
We have once again come to the end of the year and most of us go away on holiday and the animals are just left alone, without food, water and shelter. Their basic animal rights……….
Animals should not be left unattended. There are many options one can consider
The question is what we do with our 4 legged friends while we are away.
· Ask the neighbour to feed and water daily
· Find a suitable kennel
· Get a suitable house sitter.
· If your only option is to leave the animals at home unattended make sure they have plenty of water by leaving a large bowl under a dripping tap this will ensure the animals will have fresh water.
· Food must be in a feeder that gives a correct amount of fresh food daily.
· Shelter from the rain and sun is essential.
· Ensure they have no way of getting out of the property. Lock gates etc.
· If you have a sitter of the neighbour looking after the animals introduce the animals to them at least a week or so before you leave so the animals comfortable with them
When looking for kennels or sitters consult your local vet or vetshop.
Bev de Ponseele
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.