My 5 key aspects of the 5th General Elections:
1. Despite the president and definitely not because of him, 63% of the voters still believe in the ANC. It shows that the party is greater than any individual and trust in the party outweighs trust in an individual. I believe though with another candidate, the ANC would have gotten a two-thirds majority.
2. The DA beating the IFP to become the official opposition in KZN. We must remember that the IFP won KZN outright in 1994 and also won in 1999 which make this achievement even more significant and also indicative of the fall of the IFP. Buthelezi's hunger for power caused a huge split in the party that'll see the demise of the once powerful opposition party. It's time for Mangosuthu Buthelezi to hand over the reigns or see the end of the IFP.
3. ANC loses 10% of the vote in Gauteng. After winning the economic hub of the country in 2009 with 64%, the ANC "only" managed 54% with the DA showing tremendous growth in the province. This should be the most disappointing aspect of the elections for the ruling party.
4. Juju is going to parliament. With little resources and funding compared to the ANC and DA, the EFF got 1 Million votes nationally and with that about 27 seats in parliament. They also got support all over the country and will be the official opposition in Limpopo. The next 5 years will be crucial to their existence and they will be wary not to end up like COPE.
5. Since coming to power in 1994, it is only under the Jacob Zuma presidency that the ANC got less votes than in a previous election. Under JZ, the ANC lost support in the last two elections. It went from 69.69% in 2004 under Thabo Mbeki, to 65.9% and 62.2% under Jacob Zuma in 2009 & 2014. A loss of more than 7%.
It is a trend the ruling party would not want to continue going into the 2016 municipal elections.