I opened up a Facebook account in 2007. I was 21 at the time and when I look back at some of my early posts I want the world to swallow me up. I cursed like a sailor, was the queen of TMI and was one of those “sigh, this sucks” idiots who wanted people to ask me what was wrong. Not intentionally, but still. To be honest, I was all the things that irritate the hell out of me now that that I’m older. Facebook is a scary thing. It is a powerful medium that most people use, and the ironic thing about it is its motto of “connecting with people” when, in my mind, it tends to disconnect you from the real world, limits your time of actively going out and seeing friends face to face, and can actually become a hindrance to your daily lives. It has become the exception, not the norm to not have a Facebook account. There are actually therapists in some countries that treat Facebook addiction. The sheer magnitude of the wok of Mr Zuckerberg has made such an impact to our daily lives, that for a lot of people, Facebook is a staple in their lives. So in all honesty, while I am guilty of many of the above, even though I have such negative views on the matter, I’m going to list all of the things I both love and hate about Facebook.
Things I love:
· I get to stay in contact with friends and family who have moved overseas.
· I use it to store all of my pictures. Seriously, if Facebook crashed forever, thousands of pictures would be gone!
· I get to take a look down memory lane-how I’ve grown and changed over the years. The first thing my husband ever wrote on my wall. Posts that remind me of my experiences during pregnancy. Milestones that my little boy has achieved from birth to now.
· Business-I couldn’t work without Facebook as it has become a very business orientated platform. Furthermore, a lot of what I do for a living comes from social media management.
· It helps me to remember birthdays and other events (I have a terrible memory)
· I met my husband though Facebook.
Things I hate.
· Having to see people air their dirty for all to see.
· Candy Crush, Farmville and other stupid app requests.
· Passive aggressive bullying over Facebook. (I have been victim to this)
· Taking the passive aggressive bullying to heart
· Allowing Facebook to consume time that can be used to be more productive
· The fact that de-friending someone is now seen as the biggest slap in the face.
· The fact that Facebook allows you to compare your life with the lives of others. Things aren’t always as they seem on Facebook.
· Facebook can cause trouble, jealousy and even cheating.
Are you a Facebook fan or would you rather do without it? What are your pros and cons?