In the fast paced and distraction filled world that we live in, inner peace is as foreign as paying R6.00 for a liter of petrol. Our “always-on” society requires us to be in work mode for the better part of the 24hours we get in each day. Sometimes we hear people saying “I need more time in a day”!
So let me tell you. You don’t need more time! You just need to do things differently. By starting to do small changes every day we will be able to effect bigger change and yes we all can live the life we want to.
Let us look at a couple of things we can do differently. This might have a big impact on your life.
1. Do you know Vilfredo Pareto. If not then it is time you get to know him. Pareto’s law states that 80% of your results come from 20% of your efforts. How can we implement this in our lives?
Look at the 20% of the activities in your life that produces 80% of your outcomes. Then focus on doing more of the 20% activities.
2. Stop entertaining problematic people. Most of time wasting activities is people that spend a lot of time in a negative problem space. When someone comes to you for advice ask them to either email you or state their issue in one minute or less. Some people like to dabble in unimportant issues. Like what people think of them or office politics. Don’t entertain these people.
3. Batch. Like in the book of Tim Ferris it is a good practice to batch activities that are alike. Eg. Don’t check and reply to your emails every 5 minutes. This waste time and undermine your productivity. Decide upon a time where you can use an hour to check and reply to emails. He also suggests an auto responder telling people that you will check your email at 12:00 and 16:00. If they need something urgently they will either phone you or ask someone else.
4. Be offline. Do you really have to update your Facebook/Twitter every 5 minutes? If you start tracking how much time you use being online it would probably amaze you with how much time you could actually save.
5. Spend time in nature. Nature has a very good way of helping us to be more peaceful. Spend more time exploring nature. Walk on the beach or in the woods. Look at the mountains. Smell the flowers.
We are expected to be online and working 24hours a day. This can have tremendous negative effects on your health both physically and mentally. Switch off. Batch your work. Focus on the 20%. Get some air.
You might end up getting a whole lot more from life than you bargained for.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.