The Bible is the word of God, or differently put, the Bible contains the word of God. The Bible is a collection of writings from about forty writers, 30 in the Old Testament and 10 in the New Testament. Christians believe that the Bible came from God himself, who used humans to give us his message, through the presence and inspiration of his Spirit. Christians accept this unconditionally. This passage from the Bible holds this to be true: 2 Timothy 3: 16 - All scripture is given by inspiration of God….
GOD IS PERFECT, HIS WORD IS FLAWLESS, AND HE CANNOT LIE
If we are to accept that the god of the Bible exists, and that the Bible is indeed his word, we cannot accept that God is perfect, or that his word is flawless. Any reasonable and honest person who doesn't “cherry pick” the verses which portray God in a good light will accept that the word of God is riddled with inconsistencies.
The following are examples of passages that Christians accept as portraying certain qualities of their god, which should probably be taken literally; and unlike the verses which are repugnant to the perfect god Christians like to portray, do not require a revelation or one to be filled with the so-called Holy Spirit in order to interpret them within the correct context:
· Matthew 5:48 - “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
· 2 Samuel 22:31 - "As for God, his way is perfect: The LORD's word is flawless…”
· Numbers 23:19 – “God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind.”
· Hebrews 6:18 – “God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie…”
· Titus 1:2 – “In the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time.”
In light of the verses I quoted above, it would seem that the god of the Bible is immune from all weaknesses that humans and generally “sinners” are known to have. I must however submit that the converse is true. The god of Abraham is a liar, because he claims that his word is flawless. The truth is, he lies – he contradicts himself as I will prove below.
Let us briefly examine a few contradictions (lies) from the god of the Bible:
NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN GOD
John 1:18 - “No man hath seen God at any time.”
Notice that the above verse was extracted from the New Testament. It can therefore not be claimed that when god said this, or inspired the author to say it, nobody had seen him as yet!
Let us now juxtapose the above with the following:
· Exodus 24:10 - “And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.”
· Genesis 32:30 - “And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.”
· Isaiah 6:5 – “Then said I, Woe is me! For I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.”
GOD DOES NOT DO EVIL AND DOES NOT LIE
Job 34:10 - "So listen to me, you men of understanding. Far be it from God to do evil, from the Almighty to do wrong.
1 John 1:5 – “This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.”
God then went and shot himself in the foot in the following manner:
· Isaiah 45:7 - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."
· 1Samuel 16:23 – “And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.”
· Judges 9:23 – “Then God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech.”
· Deuteronomy 32:39 – “See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.”
· 2Chronicles 18:22 – “Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.”
GOD BRINGS PEACE
Isaiah 9:6 - “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
John 14:27 - “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
Compare the above with the following:
· Matthew 10:34 - "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.”
These are but a few passages which make a mockery of the god of the Bible. For merely pointing out these inconsistencies, I will probably be attacked by Christians who do not wish to have their view of their god disturbed.