Today is the last day of this world according to Mayan Calendar, so tomorrow will be a new beginning. I wanted to say good bye. I have spent the last year reading, commenting and taking part in discussions on this forum. Give me an opportunity to leave some parting words:
1) I think the DA will win at least by 2024, but let’s make sure SA survives the ANC. I think Cyril will make a great president provided he has the support to take on corruption and maladministration. After 2024, he will make a great opposition leader.
2) I am a DA supporter. The DA needs support from as many people as possible. Many vote for the ANC because they see it as the liberation party. This will change over time.
3) If you believe that people don’t vote for the DA because they think DA will bring back apartheid, then I think you are wrong. They may say it, but what they mean is that DA will institute policies that benefit the rich who they see as largely white. For example, they fear DA may reduce the social policies that ANC has instituted. The DA needs to do more to assure people that it is not against social policies for the poor (such as social grants).
4) To the ANC supporters - you may see DA as the racist white party but remember the National Party amalgamated with the ANC not with the DA. This is why Marthinus Christoffel Johannes van Schalkwyk, the former NP leader, is a minister in the cabinet. Remember, he was the leader of the “Jeugkrag”, which was funded by the apartheid military intelligence. Secondly, Helen Zille does have struggle credential. No amount of wishing can take that away from her.
5) To those whites making comments such as “typical Africa”, this is racist. While typical Africa might have a negative connotation, typical Europe is worse with its imperialism, colonialism, holocaust, world wars, etc. So think before you say typical Africa, because ultimately this is associated with DA supporters.
6) There is ample theory on how people will generally hire people of similarity. This similarity is generally associated with race and ethnicity. In fact, there is a economics nobel prize winning paper on this. If AA wasn’t instituted, qualified blacks around 1994 would have struggled to get a job even if they were more qualified than a white person. Maybe you wouldn’t have done that, but on average it would have been true. This is one reason why diversity at work place becomes important. While I believe AA is important, it must have an end-date attached to it.
7) Many of you cry about whites not getting financial aid and university places. This is just not correct. There are ample opportunities for whites to get financial aid and university placements. By making such statements that whites cannot get places, you are telling the younger people they have no hope when it is just not true. In fact, there are those who have complained about how they fear their kids did not get a place in a varsity because of AA. They’ve been told by other whites on this forum that this is just not true and yet, they don’t want to accept it. Just because you believe it to be true, no matter how hard, doesn’t make it true.
8) I totally empathise with you about AA at workplace. AA is instituted wrongly. AA shouldn’t mean that whites can’t get a job, but that given two candidates both meeting minimum requirements, then the black person has better chance if it is an AA designated job. Not all jobs are AA designated. Remember, it is not about the more qualified candidate getting a job, but the candidate who gets the job meeting minimum requirement. Unfortunately AA is not instituted correctly at work places which affect a lot of white people. But we can only stop AA in the long run if we all work together. If you have an attitude that the ANC’s effect is only on you, then no one will support you in your fight. The ANC is f&^(ing it up for all of us, not just you. No matter how much you believe that we don’t pay taxes, yes we do. So don’t think these social grants only come from white’s money. For now, the whites do earn more, but as long as you shout out that whites are paying for social grants, no one will support you. The fight against the NP was a joint fight with many whites taking part on the side of right. The fight against ANC has to be by all in order to win.
9) All commenters – if someone says something racist and the next person fight back, don’t castigate the second person for their comment if you don’t believe in it without castigating the first person for their racist comment. I notice this on News24 a lot. Some of you are prejudiced that you don’t even see it when someone of your own race is racist. Unfortunately, this type of behavior sends the wrong impression of DA supporters. Yes, I am harsher on DA supporters because that’s the party I want to win.
10) Don’t leave SA except to explore J. This is the most beautiful country one can live in. I have lived in many places and still get job offers all over the world. Yet, this is the place that pulls me back. The people are beautiful, the diversity is incredible. Where else can you eat beorewors spiced with Indian and Malay spices cooked in African style, listening to the beats of Africa. As an Indian let me tell you, US has a bigger Indian population than SA. The richest ethnic group in the US are Indians and yet, even American citizens who are Indian feel foreign in the US. Here in SA, no one will ask where I am from (unless if they want to know whether I am from Durban). You can go to France, but you can never be French. You can go to Russia, but you can never be Russian, but here, we are all South Africans.
11) Lastly, no matter your race, no matter how you look, you are African. Let no one tell you otherwise. Good bye