DuPont Pioneer recently advertised for an application for the general release into South Africa of genetically modified TC1507xNK603 maize.
While the rest of the world is banning the release of GM Maize into their environment due to :
1. Patenting laws which prevent farmers from producing the next seasons seed from their own crops and being forced to buy seed from these companies which increases the costs of production.
2. The health risks which include shorter life spans, infertility and an increase in cancer rates.
South Africa is becoming a safe haven for all Genetically modified food and the dangers of this, both to the right of individuals to produce their own food without being held hostage to the hegemony on seed production by a handful of companies in this country and the health risks which are being ignored, both in the media and at government control levels, I would like to draw the readers attention to the following which rarely, if ever, is reported on in the South African media:
1. European Parliament Rejects Cultivation of GM Maize 1507
2. "Open Seeds: Biopiracy and the Patenting of Life - As the world begins to digest the implications of intellectual property for online censorship, another IP issue threatens an even more fundamental part of our daily lives: our food supply. Backed by legal precedent and armed with seemingly inexhaustible lobbying funds, a handful of multinationals are attempting to use patents on life itself to monopolize the biosphere."
3. The insecticides used on GMOs are highly poisonous. Farmers using GMO seeds are also forced to use these chemicals which they have to buy from the seed company. These poisons have permeated the plants and this is passed onto the consumer.
Such farming practices and poisons have decimated Argentina, once a major beef producing country, now replaced by a GMO industry where :
" Agrochemicals Linked To Higher Cancer, Birth Defect Rates In Some Argentine Provinces: Report" see-
This is only one example. Tests done by independent scientists, scientists not affiliated with any GMO company, found that mice fed with GMO foods develop infertility, shorter life spans and cancerous tumours.
Now consider that 75% of South African Maize is GMO. Then take a look at the supermarket shelves and see just how many products contain Maize. And also consider that many animals are also fed GMO feed: cows, pigs, chicken.
4. Labels: Despite worldwide public demand that all food products that are GMO must be labelled, companies like Monsanto have gone to great lengths and expense to prevent legislation of any kind that will force them to label their products. They even claim that such labels will increase the cost of the product, however they seem to have no problem changing the print on the packaging when doing a promotion for a competition or advertising toys inside to entice the consumer to buy.
GMO Labelling in Washington with Initiative 522
".. the food industry and purveyors have put millions of dollars into fighting the initiative..."
5. Hawaii and Mexico on Forefront of GMO Bans
6. Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Corn Fields
7. Mexico Bans GMO Corn, Effective Immediately
8. Los Angels set to be the Largest GMO-Free Zone in the UShttp://www.nationofchange.org/los-angeles-set-be-largest-gmo-free-zone-us-1382712448