As I was growing up I always thought of Honey being a bit of treat, or something that Winny the Poo ever only got his paws on. I never paid to much interest in honey. I mean, we all know that Bees make honey but that is about as far as it goes. Never paid much attention to how important the honey bee is and what impact it has on our environment. I didn’t even know that this pure nectar has healing agents. Some even call it miraculous. What an awesome creation of God, hence the title. Take this into account – The honey bee pollinates about one-third of the food we consume (including nutritious fruits and nuts) Makes you think about the next time you squash that bee just because it is a bee. Its not just an insect but a super insect!
I had a head cold not so long ago. I took the usual aspirin, and rested but almost a week had passed and I still felt terrible. My grandfather came by to visit and noticed that I had this terrible head cold. ” I don’t get head colds” he said with a smirk on his face. I first ignored the comment as I was in know mood but then I actually started to think about it. Here is my 81 year old grandfather, 51 years my senior and why is it that he doesn’t get colds or flu? When was the last time I actually seen my grandad ill? I couldn’t remember. Yes, he is blessed with good genes and lives a "normal" healthy life style but what was I missing? So I asked him “Gramps, why is it that you don’t get head colds?” He laughed and replied ” Honey my boy, Honey”
It was then I decided that I should look into the healing agents of honey and try it out because clearly I was missing something. We live in an society that is congested with air pollution, to many people living in the city, causing us all to get sick and pick up and spread viral as well as bacterial infections. We have the constant need to find new and better ways to protect ourselves and our offspring from the onslaught of infectious sicknesses and disease. We turn to Modern Medicine for relief. The market is flooded with tablets, sprays, inhalants, diets, and the list goes on and on. Now I am not saying that these products are bad for us, but just think that if we change our life style we can depend on them less. My grandfather went on to explain “Honey has natural healing agents that are encoded into its perfect formula” from the time the honey bee pollinates it’s flower, collecting the nectar which it takes back to the hive and to the time it regurgitates (yes, you read correctly) and transforms the nectar into honeycombs and stores it as its primary food source, it is pure raw honey. No agents have been added, no preservatives and all the enzymes intact that make for a perfect sticky healing substance we all know as Honey.
So what can Honey do for you?
- BURNS – Apply freely over burns. It cools, removes pain and aids fast healing without scarring. Apart from being a salve and an antibiotic, bacteria simply cannot survive in honey.
- BED WETTING – A teaspoon of honey before bed aids water retention and calms fears in children.
- INSOMNIA – A dessertspoon of honey in a mug of warm milk aids sleep and works wonders.
- HYPERACTIVITY – Replace all use of white sugar with honey. White sugar is highly stimulating with no food qualities. Honey provides the energy without the “spike.”
- NASAL CONGESTION – Place a dessertspoon of honey in a basin of water and inhale fumes after covering your head with a towel over the basin. Very effective!
- FATIGUE – Dissolve a dessertspoon of honey in warm water or quarter honey balance of water in a jug and keep in the fridge. Honey is primarily fructose and glucose, so it’s quickly absorbed by the digestive system. Honey is a unique natural stabilizer: Ancient Greek athletes took honey for stamina before competing and as a reviver after competition.
- FACIAL DEEP CLEANSER – Mix honey with an equal quantity of oatmeal, and apply as a face pack. Leave on for half an hour, then wash it off. Great as a deep cleanser for acne and other unwanted blemishes.
- POOR DIGESTION – Mix honey with an equal quantity of apple cider vinegar and dilute to taste with water. This is also wonderful for the joints – and promotes weight loss.
- HAIR CONDITIONER – Mix honey with an equal quantity of olive oil, cover head with a warm tower for half an hour then shampoo off. Feeds hair and scalp. Your hair will never look or feel better!
- SORE THROATS – Let a teaspoon of honey melt in the back of the mouth and trickle down the throat. Eases inflamed raw tissues.
- FOR STRESS – Honey in water is a stabilizer, calming highs and raising lows. Use approximately 25 percent honey to water.
- ANEMIA – Honey is the best blood en-richer by raising corpuscle content. The darker the honey, the more minerals it contains.
- FOOD PRESERVATIVE – If you replace the sugar in cake and cookie recipes with honey, they’ll stay fresher longer due to honey’s natural antibacterial properties. Reduce liquids in the mixture by about one-fifth to allow for the moisture present in the in honey.
- OSTEOPOROSIS – Research has shown that a teaspoon of honey per day aids calcium utilization and prevents osteoporosis – probably not a bad idea for anyone over 50.
- LONGEVITY – The most long-lived people in the world are all regular users of honey. An interesting fact, yet to be explained, is that beekeepers suffer less from cancer and arthritis than any other occupational group worldwide.
- MIGRAINE – Use a dessertspoon of honey dissolved in half a glass of warm water. Sip at the start of a migraine attack, and, if necessary, repeat after another 20 minutes.
- CONJUNCTIVITIS – Dissolve honey in an equal quantity of warm water. When cooled, apply as a lotion or eye bath.
- COUGH MIXTURE – Combine 170 grams liquid honey, 55 grams glycerin and the juice of two lemons. Mix well. Bottle and cork firmly, and use as required.
(Source – http://www.naturalnews.com)
I decided what the heck! Let me give it go. I asked my Gramps to organise some honey. He made me blend of Honey and Cinnamon in a normal coffee mug with hot water. I first looked at it, smelt it, and thought what have I got myself into. It looked weird and tasted strong, but with much encouragement I drank it! At first it was overwhelming, because of the sweet taste mixed with the strong tasting combination of cinnamon but then I got used to it. Later that evening I still had the cold, but the “thick headed” feeling had faded. I continued to use it on a daily basis and felt it speeded up my recovery with no other aids. Since then I have used and believed in the healing agents of Honey. With my ongoing “study” I have realised that God’s Little Healers have always been there. I just never took the time to appreciate what they had in store!
So you mean I can go to the shop, purchase some honey,eat it and boom I will be healthy? Well the answer is No!
Like most things in this world man as intervened. It is important to remember that the Honey you use is 100% pure, unadulterated, untainted by any chemicals or pesticides. Honey comes in different forms from raw, pasteurised to liquid, and creamed. If Honey is heated and processed its live enzymes (healing agents) are destroyed. The best honey is raw honey that comes directly from beekeepers and local honey farms. Always remember this when purchasing your Honey.
Honey needs to become apart of your diet. Taking one table spoon of honey is not going to cure anything straight away. Like taking one antibiotic wont cure anything. It’s the on going use of Honey that you will find awesome results – God’s little healers!
Through out this article you will find that I list all of the positive uses of Honey, but it made me think. Are there any negatives or side effects that have been documented? I took sometime to research this and find out.
WARNING – The consumption of Honey may lead to rashes, anaphylactic reaction, nausea, vomiting, bloating, burning lips, swelling of the throat, excessive wind, flue type symptoms, and hay-fever
Are you serious? Yes I am! This is no joke. This is known as the “Honey Allergy” Like people are allergic to nuts, milk, eggs, shellfish people can be allergic to Honey. I have never met anyone that is allergic or had a bad reaction, there is also very little documented research that I could find in South Africa. I think people should take caution if they either are a diabetic, suffer with allergies or even allergic to bees just to be on the safe side. It has been documented that people with no allergies have a severe reaction to Honey, but then there are people that suffer with Hayfever and take doses of Honey and feel relief and diabetics who swear by using the darker types of honey because its high in minerals. The best is to do your own research. I don’t suffer from any reaction but I still took the time to find out if there are any negative side effects. If you take any medical product off the shelf you will find a “Warning” or “Caution” that it may have negative side effect/s yet we still trust the healing agents. Honey is pure and natural we should think of it the same. We are all individuals and what might be good for me might not be good for you! So please take the time and do your “homework”.
I am continuing to learn, research and try out as much Honey as I can get my hands on. I am currently writing a ebook on the complete guide to Honey in South Africa. The Origins – Where it can be found in South Africa-Healing agents and where you can buy some of the best Honey’s in the Country. Also, explaining the different types of honey South Africa has to offer, what types of bees do we have, nutritional values, different grades and lots more.
What is your feeling on the Healing agents of Honey?
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.