INTERNATIONAL STATISTICS ON MARIJUANA:
The title given above will serve as a reference.
1) According to the UN 158,8 million people around the world use marijuana—more than 3,8% of the planets population
2) Over 94 million people in the USA have admitting it at least once
3) According to the 2007 national survey on drug use and health, 2,1 million people in the USA abused marijuana for the first time that year. Among 12 --17 years old, 6,7% were current marijuana users in 2007.
4) According to the US government estimates, domestic marijuana production has increased 10-fold over the last 25 years: From a 1,000 metric tons, (2,2 million pounds) in 1981 10,000 metric tons (22 million pounds) in 2006.
58% of those aged 12—17 state that pot is easy to obtain. Us marijuana users spent approximately $ billion on the drug in the year 2000,
5) In 2005, 242,200 emergency room visits in the United States involved marijuana.
6) According to the US DEA a large percentage of those arrested for crimes, tested positive for marijuana nationwide, 40% of adult males tested positive at the time of their arrest.
7) Of adults 26 or older who were using marijuana before 15, 62% went on to use cocaine at some point in their lives: 9% went on to use heroin at least once, and 54% made some non-medical use of mind-altering prescription drugs.
8) Next to alcohol, marijuana is the second most frequently found substance in the bodies of drivers involved in fatal automobile accidents.
9) Marijuana smoke contains 50% to 70% more cancer causing substances than tobacco smoke. Studies show that the mental functions of those who have smoked a lot of marijuana tend to be diminished. The THC in cannabis disrupts the nerve cells in the brain affecting memory.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.