For those that don’t read passed the first sentence before commenting, this article is not an attack on God nor is it trying to disprove the existence of God/s
We are often told by religious people, especially Christians that without God there would be no laws and morals. So basically if you don’t know God and more specifically Jesus you have no moral background to draw on. This would logically mean that any group of people, prior to their introduction to God, would be without morals and laws. Christians were/are so certain of this fact that they conquered the world spreading the word of God to bring both laws and morals to the savages and heathens.
So, what happened in the land of savages and heathens prior to the introduction of God? Surely there must have been all sorts of shenanigans going on – Rape and murder being the order of the day and general thievery and adultery being rampant. Well, let us look at one of these Godless, moral less, lawless savage countries - China
1) The Neolithic age in China can be traced back to between 12,000 and 10,000 BC (side note: This makes China twice as old as the earth according to the Jewish calendar and YEC believers)**
2) The Xia Dynasty of China (from c. 2100 to c. 1600 BC) is the first dynasty to be described in ancient historical records such as Sima Qian's Records of the Grand Historian and Bamboo Annals.
3) The first documented case of Christianity entering China was in the 7th century, which is known from the Nestorian Stele, a stone tablet created in the 8th century. It records that Christians reached the Tang dynasty capital Xian in 635 and were allowed to establish places of worship and to propagate their faith.
So then for 12 634 years the Chinese were without God and Jesus, one can only assume that they must have zero morals or laws. But we know that this was not true. For those who don’t know, ancient China was ruled by kings. It was not ruled by Law, but ruled by a king. However, the king was assisted by his civilian and military officers, who had to attend to him every morning, standing on his left and on his right. Every important matter pertaining to the administration was brought forward to be discussed. This collective counselling was the best feature of ancient Chinese system, because civilian officers may give opinion as to military matters, and military officers may give opinion as to civilian matters, and no brain-power was left to waste. The final decision rested with the King. One may wonder how a system without Law to bridle wild behaviour could stand? It was because of the writing of Confucius (551–479 BC) - its moral code permeated throughout all China, and officers were selected by public examination and the subject of examination was Confucius' moral teachings.
Even so, the early rulers of the Zhou Dynasty (1046–256 BC) issued or enforced laws that already exemplified the values of a primogeniture regime, most notable of which is respect for one's parents and ancestors. The earliest document on law in China that is generally regarded as authentic is the Kang Gao, a set of instructions issued by King Wu of Zhou to a younger prince for the government of a fief.
I could carry on for pages explaining the various laws of ancient China but I think I have made my point and the same could be said of various other ancient civilizations such as the Japanese and Indian both of which existed before the earth was “created “
The conclusion that can be drawn here is only one of two things:
1) Laws and morals are provide by God/s (the Chinese did believe in Gods after all) but unfortunately that God is not the God of Abraham, or
2) We are more than capable of being law abiding and moralistic without the influence of a God/s
What you choose to believe is your own decision, but hopefully now you will start to see the futility of assuming that someone without a belief in the Christian God is automatically without morals.
**According to the Jewish calendar it is the year 5773, with the first day of the calendar marking the creation of Adam and Eve, which was the sixth day of Creation (Which, incidentally, is why YECs say the earth is only 6000 years old).