Whilst contemplating whether I should turn my back completely on religion I realized the following:
Christian Faith teaches us the following:
1. We are all sinners and that we must suffer to repent for our wrong doings, whether we have committed the sins as of yet or not. Even babies will receive punishment for sins they must still commit. Awesome, hey?
2. We shall be punished for the sins of our fathers. So not only will you be punished for your sins (past, present and future), you will also suffer for those committed by your father, your grandfather, your great-grandfather (up to the seventh generation).
3. Your kids will also be punished not only for their own sins, but also for your sins – see above. The line of punishment even includes your children’s children – up to the seventh generation. Still pretty awesome.
4. Followers are constantly reminded to live in fear not only of God but also the devil. God will punish you most severely if you don’t follow his rules to the letter, even your children and your children’s children will suffer. But, don’t worry, if you are a true believer, then everything bad that happens to you, or every sin you commit, it’s not your fault – the devil made you do it. He is the one to blame.
Conclusion: All believers are equal, but some are more equal than others. So, if a baby gets raped and/or murdered it was because he/she will be such a great sinner, that nothing can be done to help them as they won’t be faithful enough to require a “miracle”, or it is the mere fact that somewhere along the line one of his/hers fore-fathers sinned so much, and thus the punishment meted out to the baby. It boggles the mind why the killer/rapist of the baby was allowed to reach adulthood, but maybe he prayed correctly, or will pray correctly in the future and will be redeemed. Maybe this also explains rape in general. Jane will affront him so that the punishment meted out is for her to be brutally raped. Yes, I can see how this act will convince Jane to be a believer. Nice way to make sure your followers toe the line.
A certain political party (or two in South Africa) reminds a certain portion of the country of the following:
1. They are sinners and will suffer to repent for the wrong doings of the past, whether you “sinned” or not, but you will be reminded constantly that you are a murderous, thieving piece of scum. Even babies will suffer for the injustices (supposed or real) of the past.
2. We will be punished for the sins committed by our fathers (and our grandfathers) and even if they are not related to us by blood or marriage, but just for the mere fact of belonging to the said cultural group.
3. Our kids will be punished for the same sins as mentioned above.
4. Their true followers (those belonging to the right cultural groups) are also constantly reminded how evil these sinners are, that they are not to be trusted and that everything wrong in their life could be clearly attributed to this evil group. Only the leaders of the political party will be able to make your life all sunny and rosy. They are the only ones keeping the evil ones at bay. They make damn sure their followers believe that they are the saviours of mankind and that the “sinners” are the devil that will always try to enslave you, steal from you and murder you.
Conclusion: Just like the teachings of faith these unnamed parties rule their followers with fear. They have convinced them that those not following their teachings are evil, immoral and only deserve to live when they spend their days grovelling for forgiveness. Did evil things happen in the past, yes on both parts of the fence, do evil things happen today? You bet your Momma’s ass they do. The only way forward is to decide not to live in fear of the bogeyman, to educate yourself and drag yourself out of the dark ages. Nobody else is going to do that for you.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.