Referring to the article written by sunblock http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/The-14-Most-Abominable-Bible-Verses-20121224
I'm of the opinion that the author of that article has an interpretation more suitable to his own sick and handicapped mind than to a proper interpretation of the events taking place in the verses he put in his article. Extracts from his article will be quoted with italics and underlined.
3. Perversity and human trafficking condoned: "Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)
What is his interpretation of the word perverse in this line? Perverse is "wicked, unfair, unreasonable". So what exactly is it you're trying to say here? Do you even know what it is that you're quoting and trying to make out like a sex ring of some sorts? A result of your own sick mind, not the happenings in the passages you quoted.
4. Sex slavery condoned: "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again."
Exodus 21: 7-8
Where is there anything mentioned about sex? Does not please the man? Please, Strong's concordance, from the root word ra'a' to be bad, wicked, injurious, evil...Where do you come on sex?
5. Divorce akin to debauchery: "Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)
I take it because that one is highlighted you find it offensive based on the assumption that perhaps you yourself are a divorcee?
6. Cannibalism: "And the king said unto her, What aileth thee? And she answered, This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son to morrow. So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son...." (II Kings 6:28-29)
Those verses again refers to an instant of cannibalism taking place, no where there does it condone cannibalism or preach it. Why even quote this?
Your point 8(Won't paste that). Again, no where there to they condone or advocate incest at all. Your own misinterpretation of the events taking place.
Leviticus 18:6-18 incest is not permitted.
9. Looking at a woman with desire is akin to adultery: "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." (Matthew 5:28)
Seriously? I would say that is absolutely true, what's the problem you have with this exactly? I would even suggest that rape occurs as a direct result of not adhering to this obvious statement.
10. But incestuous rape is cool: And when she had presented him the meat, he took hold of her, and said: Come lie with me, my sister. She answered him: Do not so, my brother, do not force me: for no such thing must be done in Israel. Do not thou this folly. [II Kings 13:8-12] But he would not hearken to her prayers, but being stronger overpowered her and lay with her. [II Kings 13:14]
Cool? Where do you see that? Again, a result of your own sick mind. He raped his sister, she hid herself at her other brother's house and told him of the happenings, he told her not to bother herself with it, he was angered at the actions of his brother for raping his sister and he hated him. Two years later he arranged with the King to have his brother join them and he ordered his servants to kill his brother for the rape of his sister.
Where there(IF you even read the rest and aren't just suffering from selective quoting) did it ever come off as being "cool"? You're a sick individual, seriously.
11. Pray in private, and if you do so in church, do so quietly: Matt 6:5 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others."
Huh? Sick divorced Jew? Is that what we can assume from the above so far?
Point 12...It was an abominable act on the part of Judah himself that led to these actions. He laid himself down with someone that was not of the Israelite tribe but a stranger(i.e race-mixing) and those two sons were a result of that abominable act. What you should take into consideration is that Christ was to come from the line of Judah, how can that be with a race-mixed hotch potch like that? To make matters worst he took an Israelite woman(Tamar) and had his abomination son marry her and tried for them to have children.
God smote them for obvious reasons, Deuteronomy 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord, even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord.
Bastard - from the hebrew word Mamzer, child as a result of incest or race-mixing.
Point 13. Have you read the rest of the story or just selectively quoting again? And there came a writing to him from Elijah the prophet , saying , Thus saith the LORD God of David thy father, Because thou hast not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat thy father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah,But hast walked in the way of the kings of Israel, and hast made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to go a whoring, like to the whoredoms of the house of Ahab, and also hast slain thy brethren of thy father's house, [which were] better than thyself:
It wasn't just an individual act but a collective, like the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, it wasn't destroyed because of one butt pecker.
14. Rev 21: 8 "liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." Eternal damnation for lying? In South Africa murderers and rapists often get released for good behaviur, lying is politics.
Well, Lies don't hurt you, does it?
And speaking of lying, the bible ends with one. It calls its message 'the good news' and concludes, "I am coming soon." Wrong on the 'soon' bit, and unless we've missed something, no one has come. But I get it, if 2000 years pass, soon after such a length of time must be VERY soon. If 10 000 years pass, soon must be very VERY soon.
Why attempt to insist on placing "human" time to what we perceive as an infinite being and then act surprised when events doesn't occur because of your definition of "soon" ?
The Bible stipulates that 1 day is like a thousand years for God and a thousand years like 1 day. To show how meaningless the human concept of "time" is to God.
2Peter 3:8-9 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day [is] with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
More than half of the things you quoted doesn't even remotely agree with the context that you're trying to force it into and the other half is as a result of your own sick, confused and lost mind.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.