There have been a great deal of articles and comments on this forum that have dealt with issues such as Science vs. Faith, Creation vs. Evolution etc. This article is designed for those that are truly searching, maybe for “truth” or maybe to establish stability in an area of confusion. Many of the comments on the articles have degenerated from a discussion into a war. This article is designed to try and help those that are still searching to establish a degree of stability.
1) Ask questions. In order to understand, ask the question. Many replies that have been posted have insulted the questioner. Ignore those. Use an internet search engine this will help. When you ask a question make sure that the person you are asking is qualified to answer. E.g. if you are sick you go to a doctor not an electrical engineer. Experts have a specified area of expertise e.g. Richard Dawkins is physics not the origin of the Bible. Please note that the commentators here mainly talk from opinion and not always expertise.
2) Ask questions of both viewpoints. In this way whatever conclusion you come to you may be able to understand why someone else believes what they do.
3) Beware of statements that are opinions being stated as fact e.g. “There is no God.” There are certain things that cannot be proved to the satisfaction of all. It is in these cases that opinions are made, but it would be more correct to say “I do not believe there is a God”. With such a statement you can ask a person why they have come to that conclusion.
4) Beware of stereotyping. There have been many comments that claim one group of people are more intelligent than the other. This ridicule serves only to alienate and polarize opinion., and attempts to elevate the accuser by denigrating the accused. My experience is that I value honesty more than self-proclaimed intellect.
5) Similarities in on both sides exist. E.g. The origin of the cosmos. Many scientists claim that at one point in time there was a “singularity” which expanded commonly known as the big bang theory. They state that the “singularity” existed. Theists say that God created, when asked who made God theists say,” God was always there.” Both views start with an origin, and yet they ask each other to prove their origin.
6) There will be questions on both sides that will remain unanswered. In these cases remember that these questions have no definitive answer. E.g. If you ask a scientist how did life start, you may be told that science will one day find an answer. Or why does God allow innocent people to die, a theist may say “God will explain when we meet Him”. It is at this point both viewpoints will require faith to accept those things for which there are no answers.
There may be some comments that will zoom in and attack the examples that I have given above. Do not be distracted by this. There have been many people that have started as atheists and become believers as well as former believers that have become atheists and it would appear that News24 has been a magnet for them. Above all continue asking questions as I believe that those that are truly searching will be able to understand. This has been my own experience.