There is a lot of talk about green issues, sustainable fishing in the media what isn’t mentioned is how easily business “greenwash” their business with unsubstantiated advertising claims.
Fruit and Veg City are an excellent example. Their website claims “However, as a responsible retailer we make sure that we do our bit to protect the environment. That’s why we will never stock any fish that is on the endangered species list”
Yet if you dig a little deeper:
· April: Red Steenbras for sale - followed by an public apology
· June: Consumer pressure about unregulated fish from Mozambique results in their Fourways store pulling their fish from Mozambique – the group however doesn’t follow suit despite SASSI highlighting the issues around fish from Moz
· June: East Coast Rock Lobster in their Bryanston store– illegal for sale in KZN and only available from rural Xhosa subsistence fisherman in the Transkei – consumer query as to the origins of the Crayfish – despite promises of getting back to the consumer no response (publically acknowledging you selling illegally acquired Lobster may be damaging?)
· June: Red Steenbras in their PE store
· June: Red Stumpnose in their Tokai store again
For more information on the species list above go to www.wwfsassi.co.za
If you look at their facebook page you will see all public queries to their dubious seafood offerings are answered with the same cut and paste reply about how they working on their sustainable fishing policy, which apparently will take two years to get in place and all the while ducking the real questions posed to them.
For pictures and more information:
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.