Margret Thatcher: “The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money.” I personally believe that this time is fast approaching in South Africa. We are fostering a mentality of accepting hand outs as opposed to developing ones one future. This mentality is reinforced by so many examples.
Not a week goes by where we don’t hear or read about politicians or very senior members of big businesses who have abused their authority and position and are being investigated for corruption.
I have heard it said a number of times that 20% of this country supports the other 80%. This is a forced “taking” from people who are genuinely doing their utmost to provide for themselves and their children just to have to give a huge amount of their earnings to someone else. A recent report suggested that the tax rate of higher earning individuals is being evaluated for increase! Where does it stop?
If you drive down the main road in Cape Town CBD, beggars are now resorting to actually tapping on your window to get hand outs.
The crime level is crazy. I read a report recently which stated that in 2010, there were 150,000 police officers and 400,000 private security guards. This is put in place by private individuals to protect themselves and their belongings. To stop people from just taking.
The combination of the minimum wage and our extremely tight labour laws that protect the employee the way they do, creates an environment where even if I get a job, I don’t really have to deliver but the employee is forced to succumb to labour demands.
Take BEE or BBBEE or whatever you call it. How many companies are window dressing? In my industry, there is little to no skill available which allows one to qualify for higher levels of BBBEE through appointing someone that can actually add value to my business. My option is therefore to window dress or to form joint venture agreements. The end result is I am being forced to give someone a salary where they don’t really contribute. I am not going there. My business is therefore punished due to it.
There are just so many examples in our daily life of how people are being taught that it is acceptable to have the mental approach that I can either take or be given the things I need to survive each day. We are teaching people that it is ok to do the absolute minimum. We have to start fostering the mental approach that I am in control of my own destiny and that I must ultimately be responsible for developing my own future and my own life. I need to wake up each morning and do the most possible to drag myself out of trouble and into the future.
I don’t know about everyone else out there but I have always tried to give that bit extra. I am one of those people who feels extremely guilty and apologises if for some reason, be it that I have no loose change, etc that means I can’t tip someone who serves me. Consequently, I always tip people. Whether they are waitrons, petrol pump attendants, parking security, etc. With the daily rise in the cost of living, things are slowly but surely becoming tighter and tighter and I am slowly but surely starting to think that I need to change my approach. The day is coming where I honestly believe, the givers need to stop giving and the takers need to start making.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.