Success? Says who?
Thank you to those who gave comments on my first News24 article Make Piece With Your Failures.
In my follow-up article I am searching for that elusive definition or explanation of the word “Success” and want as many of you as possible to participate and giving your input.
What does Success mean to you?
The definition of success varies between people. Achieving personal success does not have to be difficult. Success is not an impossible dream. You can become successful in life if you know what Success is and against what to measure it.
But first you need to know what success means to you. Not some general definition of success. You need to see what you and your life would look like when you are successful. Developing a strong vision of what you will look like when you are truly successful will help you step into that person in your imagination's shoes. You will start living life as a success.
Ask a hundred individuals what they think Success is, and I am sure you will get a hundred different interpretations. Success means different things to different people. For some, monetary reward is a measure of success. Yet others have a multiple definition of success.
An online dictionary defines success as: The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted http://www.thefreedictionary.com.
Others explain Success as the:
· Achievement of an action within a specified period of time or within a specified parameter. Success can also mean completing an objective or reaching a goal. Success can be expanded to encompass an entire project or be restricted to a single component of a project or task. It can be achieved within the workplace, or in an individual's personal life. For example, if an individual's personal goal is to be accepted in a new career, success would occur after the individual has been officially accepted into his or her new place of employment.
· Colloquial term used to describe a person that has achieved his or her personal, financial or career goals. It could also be used to describe an individual that has more objects (money or any other desirable item) relative to another individual. For example, a professional athlete can be called "a success."
· Success is truly living. Struggling to survive is not living.
· For me, I’ll know I’m a success when I simply don’t need to worry about money anymore. We’re not talking millionaire status here. We’re talking I-can-buy-a-new-TV-without-having-to-check-my-bank-balance-first status. We’re talking that getting a speeding ticket isn’t cause for panic simply because that wasn’t in the budget. We’re talking that I can go out for dinner as many times a week as I want – and I can order the steak, too.
If you believe success is simply making (or having) a lot of money, you may be setting yourself up for failure, and it is clear that most persons I speak to on a daily basis equates Success to the amount of money they posses. Another has tried to map success on a simple grid, with one axis being the amount of money that you have and the other being the amount of happiness in your life.
Years ago when I did my accreditation as a Success Coach I was taught that Success is nothing else than a simple mathematical equation that goes like this: Success is “The amount of Negative Mental and Physical Habits you have v/s the amount of Positive Mental and Physical Habits you have”. (Wayne Ellis 2003)
In recent years I’ve developed my own definition of success that also includes a method of measuring whether you are achieving Success or not. “Success is when you gave gained or received more in return from completing an action than what you have put into the same action”. (Melvern Young 2013)
Please help me in my search to understand what Success is. Use the comment field below for your input. You might just be featured in my first book. I give some pointers below for you to keep in mind but please do not hold back.
· What is your definition of success?
· Do you believe that before you can achieve success, you need to define what success means to you?
· Can Success be measured across different areas in your life and what are those areas? (Career, emotion, health, relationships, etc)
· What impact do your weaknesses have on achieving Success?
· I what way does family and friends help you achieve Success?
If you like my work and know of others that could give constructive feedback, please support me by sharing the article.
My personal motto is: If you want to become Successful, you must study Success.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.