Relive Your Best Childhood Memories Before Summer is Up!
Summer felt like it would last forever when we were growing up.
UVA and UVB rays were something from a Star Trek episode, and our only worry was whether He-Man and She-Ra would ever hook up.
10 Things You Might Remember from the Summer of ‘89:
1. You could rap along to The Bartman and your friends knew you were supremely cool.
2. You remember running through the sprinklers and never getting hurt on the slip-n-slide.
3. You got up early to watch Saturday morning cartoons.
4. Running barefoot over molten-hot tar for soft-serve ice cream was worth the blisters.
- The hiding you got for messing melted soft-serve all over your dad’s car, however, was not.
5. You were part of the original neon clothing fad, and being luminous from head to toe was totally acceptable.
6. You spent a whole day in the pool to see whether your legs would turn into a mermaid’s tail like Splash.
7. You got sunburnt so badly that when you slept that night the bed linen felt like a cheese grater against your skin (who used sunblock back then anyway?)
8. On rainy summer days, you rented VHS tapes (favourites: Star Wars or Goonies).
9. You wore homemade cut-off denim shorts, jelly shoes and a ponytail on the side of your head.
10. No matter how badly you were tumbled by the waves, or how certain you were that you were going to die that day, you cried when your mom told you it was time to go home.
With autumn fast approaching and the pressures of being a ‘grown-up’ only increasing, it’s understandable if things start feeling a bit overwhelming at times.
A five-minute mental vacation might be just the cure. Our prescription to autumn blues: relive your childhood summer. Repeat as needed.
Here Are Some Sure-Fired Ways of Reliving Your Epic Childhood Summer:
1. Buy something neon. Anything. Go small for now if you’re unsure: bright earrings or luminous sandals are all you need to perk up an outfit. If you start browsing for leg warmers, you’ve gone too far. All accessory and clothing retailers are sporting lumo gear of some sort.
2. Ice cream with sprinkles at the beach. Get an ice cream and then go for a walk on the beach. Even better, order chocolate sprinkles or jelly tots with your soft serve and sugar cone. For beach and ice cream combos try Lulu’s Ice Cream, or Sinnful Ice Cream at Snoekies, both at Eden on the Bay in Cape Town.
3. Make homemade popcorn, snuggle up and watch Star Wars or Goonies. The unedited version. No matter how hard it is. Your corner DVD store should have classics like Star Wars. Failing that, invite a die-hard fan over to watch their collector’s edition with you - if you can stand the barrage of constant ‘behind the scenes’ insights that is.
Here’s to an endless summer!
Written by Candace van Zyl from Shift ONE for Eden on the Bay Mall.