"The Lord is my light and my salvation: Whom shall I fear?" Psalms 27:1 - Words of Praise by a man God used to defeat a giant AND cause an army to flee!!!
If it is the will of God that I might bring you a message I pray that the Sprit will move you to read on.
A story I think you know well so we won’t retell the tale but here is a little perspective I think we forget during our trials and times of hardship.
Goliath, a battle experienced warrior protected by armour, wielding a sword and Javelin, of such gigantic proportion in size that the sight of him sparked fear in the hearts of Israel's entire army. 1 Sam 17:24 “And all the men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him, and were so afraid.” Even their king was prepared to offer his daughter and massive wealth to the solider brave enough to face him. 1 Sam 17:25 “Now the Israelites had been saying, do you see how this man keeps coming out? He comes out to defy Israel. The king will give great wealth to the man who kills him. He will also give him his daughter in marriage and will exempt his family from taxes in Israel.”, as you know though, he was defeated. He was defeated by David, a boy at the time, too small to wear any armour or even hold a sword. A boy who was at first chased and doubted by his own family, three brothers all older and already enlisted in the army of Israel. Yet he was exalted by God, and transformed by God's unmatched Might & Power into a champion untouchable to even a giant and his army.
I love how this epic event displays Gods ability to carry you through your personal battles. It does however also perfectly illustrate so many beautiful facets of Gods Character, and His desire for us all to be exalted in His name above any situation if we will only place our faith in His Awesome Power and love so that we may glorify him as God.
Do you know that this is not the only time that David was faced with a battle of this magnitude? Before Goliath he defeated a bear, and even a lion by the strength given to him by The One and Only Mighty God and He used only his unarmed hands to do so. 1 Sam 17:34 - 36 "But David said to Saul, Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. "
You may notice by his attitude and choice of words that David had a God given tool on his side that enabled him to ask and call on God to strengthen him so that he may honour and display Gods authority and desire to protect us and give us favour over any situation. It is a tool or rather inherent gift that every single one of us has been given by our Father. This gift is FAITH. David had giant sized faith. He knew that by placing his faith in the hands of The Father, The King, and the Great I AM, just as these titles imply, there would be no situation too big for God to bring him through victoriously.
I try and imagine if you or I stood face to face with a lion or a bear, let alone a giant and his army, how would we react? Would we be afraid or anxious? Would we be defeated and simply give up on the spot? I think it’s safe to say that every single one of us have faced lions, bears, and even giants in our own personal lives. Perhaps right now you are staring your personal “goliath” in the face and you are dealing with exactly these emotions and fears.
There are other messages for us here too if we look at the account of David and Goliath more closely:
1. No matter how scary the seemingly giant situation or hurt you may be facing, remember, you, like David where not given a spirit of fear. 2 Tim 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
2. God is far greater and more capable than even a giant feared by an entire army. Even this young David knew this. 1 Sam 17:45 "David said to the Philistine, “You come against me with sword, spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied." Every time I read these words of David I am confronted by the realization that not only did David exercise his God given faith just as God intends for us all, but David had Godly knowledge of just how superior our Father is compared to any situation, person, or force in all of existence. Read it again, these words carry power and authority.
3. Perhaps the most important and often missed point of all is that just like any loving father loves to give and spoil his children, so that they will know they are loved and adored, there is an underlying theme in the account of David and Goliath that God wants you to see His true nature. It’s far more personal than just demonstrations of power and strength. If we look more closely He is using David to reveal to us just how much He truly loves us. You see He is also our Abba Father. Abba means “Daddy” or "Pappa”. God loves you like a Daddy. Can you see the concept of a fathers love? Prepared to take on anything that stands in his child’s way. With a fathers love and protection, every child believes wholeheartedly, that their daddy is the strongest of all.
4. He loves you so deeply and unconditionally, that He will cause entire armies to flee from you, if you will only call on His name. You are so precious to Him, that even when people around you (entire armies and their kings) are doubtful of you making it out of your personal struggle unharmed, He will never leave you or forsake you. He longs to be involved in every detail of your life, every thought, every emotion, every dream and every fear. He calls for you to lay down your burdens unto his love and will for our life. A life completely surrendered to Him. And in doing so, He is more than capable to demonstrate His unconditional love for us, by delivering us from the lies of the devil, and all his attempts to hold us hostage to our fears and heart aches .You are His most favoured creation. His pride and Joy. Created in His image for companionship, and a loving relationship with our Abba Father, the great I AM!
5. His only Son, Jesus Christ, willingly laid down His life for us. He was beaten and bruised, His body broken for all of mankind. He who knew no sin, embodied all of our sin. Nailed to a cross He bore our shame and our guilt. He endured the most grotesque form of torture humans have ever performed on others so that we may be washed of ALL sin, made whiter than snow. He did this so that you may come back into to perfect alignment with His love for you by Jesus’s unmatched sacrifice and testament of love that is God the Creator All this so that you and I may experience His Grace, be forgiven and awarded the supreme pleasure of knowing him intimately and experiencing his love for all of eternity.
I do not write this from the comfort of my fancy air-conditioned office. I do not write these words from a heart and mind removed from my own pain and oppression as though I look back and down on the bad times I once had. I write this as a man broken and oppressed. I express this from a heart that still bleeds with the pain of loss and fear of pending defeat. I write this surrounded by my enemies and on the very brink of crumbling at the sight and thought of my own tragedies but, I write this comforted by His love, and His daily whisper to my soul saying “I love you my child, I am right here beside you my child. I will hold you close to my heart, and no matter what is to come next know that I am with you.” I write this guided by His Spirit by the burning in my soul to make it known to all that are suffering that in the midst of my Goliath only the Lord our God can inspire and move you to know what it is to be accepted and loved and cherished beyond your circumstance.
Accept Him and hand your broken heart with unwavering believe in Him over to Him. Hand your burdens over to He who is Gods Only Son Jesus Christ’s your saviour and comforter in every situation and lean on him, walk with Him, He will strengthen you because He loves you and you will experience peace, love, joy and happiness from our ultimate comforter like you have never known before.
John 14:26-27 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
He will give you peace, He will give you comfort and Joy in even your most hopeless moments. He is longing to give you victory so that you will know by your experience of his divine love that you are His and He is God.
He gives "strength". (Psalm 29:11) He gives "grace and glory". (Psalm 84:11) He gives "perseverance" and "encouragement". (Romans 15:5)
He gives us "the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ". (1 Corinthians 15:57)
God and his divine inspiration and love
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.