My fellow South Africans
I fear that we are in dire straits, and unless there is fundamental shift in the way this country is governed, we will be heading straight for a depression, physically, mentally and financially!
No I’m not an economist nor am I a financial guru, I am simply a South African taking a look at what is happening around me and wondering when the dam wall will break! (Pun intended!)
Rape, Robbery, Poaching, Abuse, Anger, Intolerance, Racism, Disrespect (and all the others you can think of) are all a sign of our inability to cope with what is happening around us. Every day we hear of more people getting raped and while the calls for “hang them”, “castrate them” and “kill them” abound, this is not the solution! This is merely dealing with a symptom.
The same applies to those criminals who deal in robberies that result in beatings and death, poachers, as well as to those criminals who deal in simple theft, even if it’s a loaf of bread. Again I say, throwing these people behind bars is not a solution – that’s like blowing your runny nose when you should be finding out why it’s running.
The question that needs to be asked and answered is WHY?
Why is there this prevalence of violence, this tendency to so easily erupt, to pull out guns and start threatening lives… why are we a hair-trigger away from the explosive edge?
The answer is not so difficult … it’s all about the money, money, money or rather the lack thereof because our precious government:
1. Would rather spend R270 million on a thatched roof abode in the foothills of KZN, than R270 million on improving education?
2. Our government would rather waste money on an “Opening of Parliament” than on building houses where it’s needed most.
3. Our government would rather waste money on Blue Light convoys than improve our police force
4. Our Government would rather spend gazillions on child grants than teach our women and girls to educate and take care of themselves
5. Our Government would rather spend money in court fighting corruption and rape charges than teach men and boys to respect themselves, their women and children
6. Our Government would rather build milk the golden goose (the taxpayer) to satisfy its own ends, than use the golden goose to improve the lot of all South Africans
My fellow South Africans, I’m sure there is more that you can add to this list, but I have another question, and this one is posed to those who support the current government: What exactly has the ANC done for South Africa?
Sure, you’ve got the vote, you can go where you want when you want, a handful of previously disadvantaged South Africans have been give free water and electricity, but ask yourself how many more South Africans are jobless, homeless, prideless and futureless?
With this in mind, I urge you my fellow South Africans to use your vote wisely, to research the parties that are standing there, put their leaders under scrutiny and understand that they what they say and what they do is a display of what will happen to this country under their leadership.
If they have unprotected sex with others, if they fight a court case knowing they are guilty, then you know they would rather see their own ends realised than that of this great country.
Vote carefully my friends, your and my future depends on who we vote into power – Ensure you vote for the party that we need, not the party you want!