Just a short piece. A lot of people dont fully understand what a scientist means by using the word THEORY.
Please see below some definitions of the word THEORY.
1. A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.
2. The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice: a fine musician who had never studied theory.
3. A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.
4. Abstract reasoning; speculation: a decision based on experience rather than theory.
5. A belief or principle that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: staked out the house on the theory that criminals usually return to the scene of the crime.
6. An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.
Now, when people tend to dismiss a scientific school by saying it’s just a THEORY, they use the definition of the word provided in number 6.
Lets take the THEORY of gravity as an example. It’s still called a THEORY, but the definition of THEORY in this case is number 1 or number 2…and don’t giggle. If you would like to contest that because they use the word THEORY it means nothing, then by all means go test it out...just not from anywhere too high.
You see, the THEORY OF GRAVITY has been proven beyond a doubt, but the name still remains because the definition of the word THEORY applies. You can say the mantra, it’s just a THEORY, it’s just a THEORY, over and over again, but it wont mean what you want it to mean. Deal with it.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.