The following are some of the things that I learnt in 2013 and I would like to share these with you:
1. If you want something, go for it, nothing just falls into your lap.
2. If you're unhappy, change your situation, because no one will change it for you. Take risks.
3. Anyone has the power to empower themselves.
4. I am way too old to entertain drama in my life. I have no place in my life for anyone who causes it.
5. A re-return to an ex, no matter how much you think it's worth it, really is NOT. Sometimes the right thing to do is the most difficult thing to do. Walking away is not always easy, but is sometimes the right thing to do, even if just for your own sanity.
6. Heartbreak is important. Give yourself time to grieve properly, cry your heart out, pick yourself up and carry on. Loads of chocolate, ice cream and friends are imperative to this process and so are British crime and drama series.
7. Always keep enough cash on you to avoid embarrassing situations. Card may be king, but sometimes you still need cash in your pocket.
8. If it walks like a jerk and it talks like a jerk, it definitely is a jerk. You cannot change a jerk, don't even try. Put on your pretty little heels and walk away.
9. Drink more beer :) (I put this one in because I really like beer)
10. Drink more champagne (same reason as above)
11. Stay away from Spitsville. There's no good to be found there.
12. Life is fleeting - forget about rubbish and do what makes you happy, with those who make you happy.
13. Laugh as much as possible, even if it's at silly things. Oh go on, it's good for you.
14. Take holidays with friends.
15. Sleep in and take naps. We took this for granted when we were younger. :(
16. Take long walks/sit on a rock overlooking the ocean and just sit in silence.
17. Anything is fixable. Nothing is lost/broken if you don't want it to be. Nothing is what it is. I hate that saying, it's very defeatist. It's the slogan of people who give up.
18. It's important to be by yourself at times. If you can't be alone, you have big problems.
19. Being an island is fine, but some people deserve to be on it with you. Let's make our islands a destination for some.
20. I know people always say that the less you care the happier you are. I don't think so. Give a shit, many shits, that's how you grow and invest in things you really care about. People like it when you care about things and it makes you pretty :)
21. "You attract what you are. If you want great, be great." I read this somewhere, and it stuck. How true is this? Related - life is not for sissies. It doesn't owe you anything. If you play the victim, that's what you'll be. Be your own hero for once.
22. Never wait around for someone to realise your value. If they don't see it, move on, don't dwell.
23. If you've made a mistake, apologise, find a solution and move on. That's how grownups do it.
24. Pride is a terrible thing and it's ruined many a dream. Forget about pride.
25. When you meet people who get you and all your weirdness, keep them around for they will keep you sane. I've met the most amazing people this year and I cherish each and every one of them.
26. Never lose yourself in a relationship. You're still your own person. Be that person.
27. Friends are important, friends are the family you choose, choose them well.
28. Read, read as much as possible. It will teach you much!
29. Whatever you are, be the best version of it. Lincoln said it best "Whatever you are, be a good one".
30. No matter how broken you may feel, you will be fine and you may not ever be the same again, but you may be even better after you put yourself back together.
31. Hoes before bros - your friends will be the ones holding back your hair or sitting on the kitchen floor with you when you're crying. So make them a priority, don't lose those bonds and take care of them. Partners are important, but you can't expect them to be everything - friend, best friend, lover, confidant and sounding board. That's a lot of pressure to put on anyone.
32. Manners are sexy, so is being smart.
33. Overdress. It makes you feel confident.
34. Switch off your phone/laptop/any other technology from time to time and spend quality time with those you care for.
Here’s to a great 2014.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.