With the growing number of diseases & fatal chronic conditions, there is an increase in the number of people looking for alternative medicines.
Herbal medicines have been around since prehistoric times. They have been used for medicinal purposes for as long as recorded history.
Herbal remedies are the best alternative to treatin disease as they have a rich history spanning the origins of humankind. Accoding to WHO 80 per cent of people in the developing world still use herbal medicine to treat various ailments.
Added to this is the fact that as the burden of disease increases, the prices of pharmaceutical drugs is increasing and the scientific data that shows the effectiveness of herbal medicines is increasings leading to more people resorting to using herbs to treat diseases.
1. Reduced risk of side effects: Herbs typically have fewer side effects than traditional medicine, and may be safer to use over time.
2. Effective in treating chronic conditions : Herbal medicines tend to be more effective for long-standing health complaints that don't respond well to traditional medicine.
3. Lower cost: Herbs cost much less than prescription medications.
4. Widespread availability: Herbs are available without a prescription and you can even find some herbs in nature or grow your herbs
5. For certain ailments, herbal medicines are considered to be more effective than pharmaceutical drugs.
6. The natural detoxification process of the body is effectively enhanced by herbal medicines.
7. Best for people who are allergic to various types of drugs.
8. There is a choice on how to use them – Heral teas, herbal creams, herbal oils or herbal pills
9. They are good for more than one condition
1. Inappropriate for many conditions
2. Lack of dosage instructions
3. Poison risk associated with wild herbs
4. Medication interactions
5. Lack of regulation
Before treating yourself with herbs seek advice from a qualified herbalist or books on herbs and their uses.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.