I had an interesting chat with someone who very much insinuated that anyone who had a problem with the DA had a problem with White people in general - God only knows how they arrived at that conclusion.The DA may have proved a comfortable home for backward-minded Whites opposing Transformation but even I wouldn’t go as far saying hating the DA = Hating White people.
Other interesting questions we covered are: Who built South Africa? Who is an African? Who belongs here and who would be better off emigrating?
So today I’m taking pity on many confused South Africans who do not know who is an African, those who do not know where they fit in, and those who just basically live in a cloud of perpetual confusion, thank me later.
Let’s start with the present, the recent government-sanctioned land audit revealed that the South African government owns a mere 14% of the land, a shocking but unsurprising statistic, whether dry or fertile, the question is, who owns the rest of the land? The 86% ?- now would you be extremely shocked to learn that the JSE share allocation almost mirrors the land ownership situation? *waits for the penny to drop* No, the answer is not ‘White people” the correct answer is “the rich minority” which, while it is made up mostly of White people, also includes a number of BEE types, new money in business and government. In fact there’s a % of White people who also live from hand to mouth just like many of us. Note: Chinese ownership of our land and wealth is still not yet substantial enough to deserve much of a mention. Good, now we can go back in time.
No matter how we look at it, what has been has been, Europeans and the Dutch came over, fought each other for land and resources, drove out the indigenous people from whatever land they wanted etc you know the drill, whether or not old boots and mirrors were bartered is neither here nor there. In their own way they too have a rich history of struggle and triumph and the fact that they control the economy and still make up the majority in most companies at executive level and continue to cling onto power is a feat not to be frowned on - they played the game and won, bamboozled the hell out of the ANC during the CODESA negotiations and still stand tall. When I look at the ANC negotiation team today I can’t help but smile, what did we think we’d achieve with that lot, a bunch of fourth graders and people too intellectual for their own good, the ‘sunset clause’ will rightfully keep biting them on the behind until the end of time, lol.
White people set themselves up real nice using indigenous people for labour, they mined, built roads, railways, they turned coal into oil, got foreign skills to assist with power stations, they farmed (through trial and error and lots of government assistance) until many farms became successful.
So you see, it took both White And Black to build this country, so we All belong here – it would be quite ignorant to suggest that everyone should return to where they came, but the Cape Town beachfront from whence my Khoi ancestors came sounds quite enticing either way.
As for the question about who is an African? – look at it like this, suicide bombers in the USA and the UK will Never be regarded as Americans or British, only people who are born there, those who accept those countries with their problems and are proud to be there are considered Americans and British, why must we be different ? Someone who obviously hates everything about South Africa cannot seriously still be calling themselves an African - you plead your allegiance to the flag same as you make a wedding vow, there’ll be disagreements but you cannot favour others over us and still call yourself ‘African’, for the religious, even the Bible says you cannot have two masters, you’ll love the one and despise the other.
There you have it.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.