This is the question most of South Africans ask themselves.
In 1994 all blacks were in cloud 9 with joy (happy) that at last they have an opportunity to have a say (vote) in their beloved country. It was a joy in every person older than 18 years of age. April days looked like they extremely slow, we couldn't wait for election day. We were tired of the old government and its apartheid and wanted to take them out of the government.
Twenty years later, South Africans are tired of the ANC government and their corruption and poor service delivery. However, this time most of South African are not willing to cast their vote and kick them out.
This tells me that most of the people in South Africa do not know the reason why people have to vote. Maybe the then IEC did not teach the public correctly, they taught the public to put a cross next to ANC name.
Why do I say this? When listening to the radios, having conversations with friends face to face and/or chatting on social medias, I have notice that South Africans do not know why they must vote. They say they will not vote until they get what they want. In most of South Africans, voting means Accepting and/or approving the ANC government and by not voting they think they are telling ANC that they are not happy with their style of governance.
The community of Malamulele in Limpopo, for example, have experienced extremely poo service delivery and decided to apply from the government their own municipality. Because the government turned down their application, now they are saying they are not going to vote in the coming election. When one asked why, they say they are tired of ANC. If 90% of them don't vote because they tired of ANC, this leaves only 10% satisfied and if they vote ANC will win and also means, poor service delivery for the next 5 years.
This is not the only town, most of the towns in South Africa are saying the same.
Nelson Mandela said: "If the ANC does what the apartheid government did to you do to the ANC what you did to the apartheid government". Had we stayed home during 1994 elections, would the ANC be in power now? No. It is because we stood up said it's enough, we are tired of apartheid, that is why were where we are now. Even now, we have to stand up say it's enough, that we are tired of corruption and poor service delivery and kick out the ANC from the government.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.