Once upon a time, South Africans spent their Saturday mornings in crowded shopping centre’s we like to call malls. There we did our necessary shopping such as clothing, groceries and the buying of our smartphones. This was until the digital mall was introduced. The change from retailing to eTailing (electronic retailing) was imminent.
More South Africans than ever before are using the internet to buy a variety of items, from furniture to clothing to kitchen appliances. It became part of our lifestyle to search for the best available prices on products before heading out to the shops.
So what are the advantages and disadvantages of online shopping or eTailing?
Advantages of eTailing:
· Time: There is no rush. You can buy early in the morning or late in the afternoon. You only need a couple of minutes online to order your products straight to your door. You also have the time to shop around on multiple different online shopping destinations.
· Easy to review your item: You can get a review for pretty much anything online. This will make for inform decisions without a sales person bothering you.
· Convenience: You can shop online from almost anywhere and at any time. You can shop online from your Laptop, Tablet, and Smartphone and if you’re old school, you can order from your PC.
· You have an endless possibility of choices: There are so many online shops popping up everywhere that you will definitely find what you’re looking for.
· Other advantages include:
o No crowded malls and parking fees
o No time wasting in malls
o No need to worry about your children when going to the Mall
o Its most of the time cheaper to buy online
o The buying of 2nd hand goods
o Discreet purchases
o Easy to send gifts
o No waiting in lines
o Quick and easy shipping and returns
Disadvantages of eTailing:
· You can't try things on: If you are buying a brand name that you are familiar with, this won’t be a problem. For all the other labels with different sizes and fits, you need to look at the sizeing guides of the clothing before making a purchase.
· Privacy and security: One of the main reasons why people don’t shop online is the fear for their cards being cloned. This is a possibility, but there are precautions you can take to make sure your transaction is a safe one.
· If something looks to good to be true, it possibly is: There are many fake items that are sold online, so make sure with the seller beforehand if it is in fact the genuine product, and if there are any guarantee’s on the product.
At the end of the day, eTailing is convenient, cheaper and more user friendly than ever before, so why not give it a try?
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.