BP to restart Gulf drilling

2011-04-28 10:37

London - BP expects to be back drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, where a rig explosion killed 11 men and caused the biggest offshore oil spill in US history, in the second half of this year.

After BP PLC reported on Wednesday that net profits rose 16% in the first quarter, company officials acknowledged the company has applied for permits to restart drilling in the Gulf.

The US government lifted a moratorium on deepwater drilling in the Gulf earlier this year, citing improved security standards and the need to protect communities and workers whose livelihoods depend on drilling.

The costs of the spill have driven BP to make numerous asset sales, boosting net profits in the first quarter to $7.2bn.

But replacement cost profit, the measure most closely watched by analysts to indicate an oil company's health, fell 2% as lower production and higher charges from the spill overrode the benefits of a rising crude oil price.


Revenue rose 18% to $88.3bn for the three months to March 31 after the company sold off more than $24bn in assets to pay for the Gulf spill.

Those asset sales led to a fall in production, however, lowering replacement cost profit to $5.48bn. The measure is closely watched by analysts because it excludes changes in the value of crude inventories and measures the amount it would cost to replace assets at current prices. It also excludes one-offs such as asset sales.

Chief Executive Bob Dudley has been targeting higher growth exploration to reverse a 30% drop in BP's share price since the Deepwater Horizon exploded on April 20 2010.

"BP is in the midst of major change as we work to reset focus for the company and begin the task of rebuilding long-term sustainable value for our shareholders," Chief Financial Officer Byron Grote said on a conference call to analysts.

"The group's future strategy is in disarray, with Russian partners feuding, while rivals such as Shell continue to steal ground," said Keith Bowman, equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown Stockbrokers.

Grote said the company was "keenly aware of the loss of value that has occurred over the past year".

"We are committed to recovering that lost value, both by delivering sustainable long-term performance and by addressing the uncertainties that we face in the US, Russia and elsewhere," he added.

Development rigs

Grote said BP has applied for permits to restart drilling in the Gulf of Mexico and "expects to be back and actively drilling in the second half of this year".

Fergus MacLeod, head of investor relations, added BP was working toward a "phased resumption of activities toward the middle of the year".

It has four development rigs operating at its Thunderhorse platform, another two at its Atlantis platform and an exploration and appraisal rig at another location.

MacLeod said the company was subject to very distinct criteria to meet new regulatory requirements on the testing of blowout preventers - the equipment that failed last year - and worst case scenarios for potential spills and containment.

The catastrophe in the Gulf caused BP to plunge to its first full-year loss in almost 20 years in 2010 and forced the resignation of chief executive Tony Hayward.

The first quarter results include a $400m pre-tax charge for the oil spill, adding to $40.9bn set aside by the company last year.

BP last week sued Transocean, the owner of the rig, and contractor Halliburton, for around $40bn each in damages, based on its estimates of its liabilities.

Production decrease

But the court cases are likely to take years and BP could face tens of billions of dollars more in fines and penalties if it is prosecuted.

In the meantime, production levels have fallen as the London-based company sold oil fields and refineries and US regulators banned further drilling in the Gulf of Mexico.

BP said that production in the first quarter was 3.58 million barrels of oil equivalent per day, an 11% drop on the year. However, it said the fall was only 7% after adjusting for the effect of acquisitions, divestments and entitlements in production-sharing agreements.

The production decrease primarily reflected the drilling moratorium in the Gulf, higher turnaround and maintenance activity in the North Sea and in Angola and an interruption to the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System.

Ranged against that production decline was a fire sale of assets that has so far brought in some $24bn to help pay for the Gulf spill.

The company has targeted total sales of $30bn by the end of this year, with assets still up for sale including its Texas City Refinery where there was a deadly explosion in 2005.

With its future in the US uncertain, BP has signed energy exploration agreements in Indonesia, China, India and Australia.

  • daaivark - 2011-04-28 11:07

    This is just unconscionable.

  • Joy - 2011-04-28 11:14

    After this major ecological disaster, they are going right back to drilling! Stop this crap !

  • Spoofed - 2011-04-28 12:13

    Did they not learn their lesson the first time around? sheesh!

      daaivark - 2011-04-28 14:47

      The real question is: Did they want to learn anything?

  • Ariella Hume - 2011-04-28 15:04

    OUTf****RAGEOUS!!! These bastards should be locked up for the damage they caused. These oil companies are run by PSYCOS, who are totally unrepentant, and they have the US gvt eating out of their hands. BASTARDS. ECO_MURDERERS!

  • pages:
  • 1