News24

Climate talks going well - Zuma

2011-12-02 21:27

Durban - The climate change talks in Durban were going well and promoting an environment conducive to constructive engagement, but the parties still differed on the final outcome, President Jacob Zuma said on Friday.

Addressing delegates at a cities and local government convention in Durban, the president said although parties had differing views on the final outcome of the talks, there was a general understanding they should decisively deal with the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol.

The protocol, which came into effect on February 16 2005, is an international agreement which sets binding targets for 37 industrialised countries and the European community on the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.

Climate talks in Cancun, Mexico, in 2010 led to a second commitment period for Kyoto, which expires at the end of 2012.

"Generally, parties agree that Durban should operationalise the Cancun agreements," Zuma said, adding there was a need to implement the Green Climate Fund. Countries agreed to form the fund during the Cancun talks and a transitional committee was formed.

The next step was the composition of a board to run the fund, meant to help developing countries adapt to climate change.

"The Green Climate Fund that was agreed to in Cancun must be operationalised. This must be done by adopting the report of the transitional committee and through an early launch of the fund," Zuma said.

The transitional committee is co-chaired by South African Minister in the Presidency Trevor Manuel.

The transitional committee had done well, but there was still the matter of finding its long-term sources of finance.

"For the initial capitalisation of the fund to be realised in Durban, the high-level segment that is due to start next week will have to provide the political will, which should translate into financial pledges."

Developing countries believed the fund would help them adapt to and mitigate the effects of climate change.

- The cities and local government convention is one of the side events of the main climate talks, COP 17, and is aimed at crafting plans to help cities or municipalities deal with the impact of climate change.

Comments
  • Boeretroos - 2011-12-02 22:21

    Zoem Zoem and his crowd arn't actually doing much for climate change - they wait for the western nations to perform without lifting a finger. Nie reg nie Zoem Zoem ?

  • sduplessis - 2011-12-02 23:40

    WTF? this dumb idiot of a prez knows nothing.. bloody idiot.

  • Robin - 2011-12-03 06:30

    He and his cronies are only waiting to see how much cash they can screw out of the USA and Europe.

  • Ernst - 2011-12-03 19:49

    I just want to urge people that read this message to watch the following presentation. It is absolutely shocking: See: http://www.stthomas.edu/engineering/jpabraham/ The presentation is done by a University Professor (The investigation is is in no way alarmist and totally objective). In it he exposes the shocking (disturbing) lies told by a prominent Global Warming Denialist by the name of Lord Christopher Monckton. These lies were designed to misinform people about the threat. It is shocking, please watch it.

      Soetdoring - 2011-12-03 20:12

      Yes, and once you have watched Abraham's so called debunking of Christopher Monckton, be fair and also watch (21 part series) Monckton's response to Abrahams claims. You can start here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z00L2uNAFw8

      Ernst - 2011-12-04 10:44

      Yeah, and Monckton is a climate scientist? What are his qualifications? He's got absolutely no scientific training whatsoever. He thinks he can cure Aids. What a joke. This guy is the biggest fraud ever. And as for the link you provided earlier (c3headlines): I havent found any citations to peer-reviewed research, published in prestigious scientific journals, to back up any claims made by the website. If I missed any then answer the following question: 1) Do the citations provided, point to research done by the 3% of scientists that think manmade global warming is not true. (the other 97% say man is responsible). And what is the impact factor of these journals? How many citations do these author's have? What is the prstige of the journals? 2) Seeing that you are such a conspiracy theory fanatic, where do these guys get their funding? One can virtually make any claims on the internet and provide fancy graphs to back it up (c3headlines). If these claims have not been scrutinized (peer-reviewed) by experts in the field, then it is not worth the paper it is written on.

  • pages:
  • 1