Icasa awards mobile TV licences

2010-09-10 11:20
Johannesburg - E.tv and MultiChoice have been awarded the licences to provide mobile TV, the Independent Communications Authority of SA said on Friday.

"E.tv and MultiChoice did not have other competing bidders with respect to the multiplexes they applied for... as a result, the authority has decided to grant the licences to e.tv and MultiChoice," Icasa chair Stephen Mncube told reporters in Johannesburg.

Icasa initially aimed to have the digital video broadcasting service up and running in time for the Soccer World Cup. This would have meant South Africans would have been able to watch soccer matches on their cellphones.

Icasa missed their deadline and an invitation to apply was sent out in April this year. Four applications were received from MultiChoice, Mobile TV Consortium, Super 5 Media and e.tv.

The first three applicants were disqualified for failing to comply with the preliminary requirements of the invitation and mobile TV regulations.

E.tv applied for 40% capacity of the frequency. A second invitation was sent out in May this year for the remaining 60%.

Two applications were received from MultiChoice and Super 5 Media.

"Unfortunately, Super 5 Media withdrew its application," Mncube said.

Icasa councillor Robert Nkuna said if everything went according to plan, the services would be available to the public within 12 months.
- SAPA
Read more on:    icasa  |  tv
NEXT ON NEWS24X
SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
14 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
 

Inside News24

 
/News
 

7 tips for the ultimate family camping trip

Taking the kids on a camping trip can be one of the most memorable holidays they will ever have!

 
 

Where were you when you last felt alive?

BASE jump off the world’s tallest building!
Stand up paddler rides over shark!
Bear Grylls’ top 10 things kids should do outdoors
You HAVE to see this MTB Tsunami Fip!

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Property [change area]

Travel - Look, Book, Go!

Magical Massinga

Spend 5 nights at the gorgeous Massinga Beach Lodge in Mozambique and only pay for 4 from R13 220 per person sharing. Includes return flights, accommodation, transfers and romantic turndown. Book now!

Kalahari.com - shop online today

Deal of the week!

20% off Afrikaans books, music and DVDs. Offer valid while stocks last. Shop now!

Save up to R1000 on Hisense smartphones!

View the large range of Hisense smartphones. Buy today and save up to R1000!

Hot gaming titles – available for pre-order!

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition, Far Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto 5 and more. Pre-order now!

Get a free eBook

Buy 3 eBooks and get the cheapest FREE. Offer valid while stocks last. Shop now!

Bargain box – 60% off

Reduced prices, very limited stock. While stocks last. Hurry and shop now!

OLX Free Classifieds [change area]

Samsung Galaxy s4

Mobile, Cell Phones in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 24

Best bargain in big bay

Real Estate, Houses - Apartments for Sale in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 25

VW Golf 6, 1.6 Trendline (Excellent condition)

Vehicles, Cars in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 25

Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

Pushing too hard and doing too much may have left you feeling drained and overwhelmed. You may need time out to recharge and reset...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.








Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.