Opera partners for cheap phones in SA

2011-08-31 12:05
Cape Town - Fast-growing cellphone brand Mi-Fone has partnered with Opera to launch cheaper smartphones in SA.

The partnership mean that the popular browser will be pre-installed on the mobile devices and potentially allow users cheaper access to the web in developing markets.

"Fixed-line infrastructure in Africa is not the preferred means of accessing the internet, so being able to provide this solution, combined with our high value and low-cost handsets, will be a significant market differentiator," said Alpesh Patel CEO of Mi-Fone.

Africa is seen as a key market for device manufacturers and cost to access the internet is a critical factor in determining users' preference for smartphones.

The phone uses Google's Android operating system and the internet giant said that its focus is on the mass market, rather than high-end devices.


"If we look at the market today, iPhone has a very strong position in the upper 2% of the world. But we're not looking at that market, the real success lies with the other 98%," Brett St Clair, head of Mobile at Google South Africa told News24.

Dubai-based Mi-Fone has sold one million devices in three years and uses the Google Android operating system along with the pre-installed Opera Mini browser to access the web.

Manufacturers like Samsung, Sony Ericsson and Research In Motion that have marketed high-end smartphones to rival Apple's iPhone, but the Mi-Fone devices are cheap by comparison to tap a huge potential mass market on the continent.

"We are delighted with this partnership and believe it will assist us in leading the market for low-cost handsets in Africa," said Patel.

The Opera Mini browser dominates the cellphone platform because its technology allows websites to use a much smaller data footprint than native browsers.

In Africa particularly, the cost of data is expensive compared to Europe and developed markets and price is an important consideration for internet users.

"Opera believes that internet access is a universal right, and being part of bringing that to Africa is key for us," said Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera Software.

The smartphones range in price from R500 to R1 500 and are available in SA at Ideals, selected Cellucity stores and the company website.

- Follow Duncan on Twitter
- News24
Read more on:    google  |  opera  |  mobile

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24


Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Property [change area]

Travel - Look, Book, Go!

Kalahari.com - shop online today

Save up to 40% on outdoor accessories!

Tents, sleeping, day packs and more. While stocks last. Shop now!

Month End Madness Sale!

Save up to 60% on across a wide range of goods from books to electronics, DVDs and many more. Sale end 31 January 2015. Shop now!

Valentine’s Day gifts – 14 Feb!

Gifts to spoil him and her. While stocks last. Shop now!

30% off fragrances

Get 30% off fragrances for him and her. While stocks last. Shop now!

Up to 30% off All Textbooks

Save up to 30% off an extensive range of prescribed textbooks for all major universities and FET colleges. Shop Now!

OLX Free Classifieds [change area]

Samsung Galaxy s4

Mobile, Cell Phones in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 24

Best bargain in big bay

Real Estate, Houses - Apartments for Sale in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 25

VW Golf 6, 1.6 Trendline (Excellent condition)

Vehicles, Cars in South Africa, Western Cape, Cape Town. Date October 25


Spontaneity and bright ideas are emphasized today but there is a tendency to be too impulsive and you may want to keep a handle on...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.