Sony removes data posted by hackers

2011-05-07 17:07

Tokyo - Sony said on Saturday about 2 500 customers' names and partial addresses stolen by hackers had been discovered posted online as it struggled to recover from the biggest-ever internet security break-in.

"The website was out-of-date and inactive when discovered as part of the continued attacks on Sony," US-based Sony Electronics said in an online statement.

The data belonged customers, mostly Americans, who had entered a 2001 product sweepstake, the company said.

The company "immediately took the website down, and we are aggressively removing any residual links to the list", it said, without giving further details on the site.

An attack by hackers last month resulted in the theft of names, email addresses and possibly credit card information from more than 100 million accounts using Sony's online platforms.

The company later said its Sony Online Entertainment platform was also hit.

Sony said it would offer US PlayStation Network and Qriocity users free membership for 12 months in a deal that would include a $1m per user insurance policy against identity theft.

It added that it was working to make similar programmes available elsewhere.

The breach is a blow for Sony as it focuses on pushing content such as games and music through hardware platforms including game consoles, smartphones and tablet computers amid competition from Apple's iTunes and App store.

Sony in Japan also said on Saturday that it is unlikely to meet its self-imposed deadline to restore the PlayStation Network and other online services.

Sony shut down the network and the Qriocity music streaming service on April 20 to investigate the hack and secure them from future attacks, and said last Sunday that it would begin restoring them within a week.

But it said onSaturday: "The company is taking time to strengthen the protection and coding of data, in addition to building necessary surveillance functions for actualising higher security.

"The company will resume the services in stages in different regions after assuring the safety of customers," it added in a statement.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
Read more on:    sony  |  cybercrime  |  internet

linking and moving

2015-04-22 07:36 publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Boks can brace for Wales - bookies
'England can't afford me', jokes Gatland
Boot boys Biggar, Foley set for showdown
Wales seek to end woeful Wallaby run
Traffic Alerts

It is always easier to notice the faults in others rather than face our own. Focusing too much on the perfect and ideal more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.