Steve Jobs tributes in quotes
San Francisco - Here is a selection of tributes pouring in for Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who died on Wednesday at age 56.
- "Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being... Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple" - Apple CEO Tim Cook, who succeeded Jobs in August.
- "It's kind of like when John Lennon died, or JFK... I'm a little bit, like, awestruck, just dumbfounded, and I can't put my mind into gear" - Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.
- "Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve" - Apple's board of directors, announcing his death.
- "Steve was among the greatest of American innovators - brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it" - US President Barack Obama.
- "The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come... For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it's been an insanely great honour" - Microsoft head and former rival Bill Gates.
- "Steve, thank you for being a mentor and a friend... Thanks for showing that what you build can change the world. I will miss you" - Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.
- "He was able in his mind to imagine what would happen when things were 10 times faster or 100 times faster and start to think about how the technology evolves... Everything he did, he was two or three or four steps ahead in thinking" - Google chief Eric Schmidt.
- "The digital age has lost its leading light, but Steve's innovation and creativity will inspire dreamers and thinkers for generations" - Sony head Howard Stringer.
- "Tonight, America lost a genius who will be remembered with Edison and Einstein, and whose ideas will shape the world for generations to come" - New York Mayor and tech company founder Michael Bloomberg.
- "Thank you for changing our world" - Arianna Huffington, co-founder of The Huffington Post.
- "Devastated 2 hear about the passing of Steve Jobs ...Was blessed 2 have the opportunity to spend time w/ him on several occasions. May he RIP" - seven-time Tour de France cycling champion Lance Armstrong, on Twitter.
- "I never thought I could be so busted up about the loss of someone I never met" - actor Ashton Kutcher, on Twitter.
- "Steve Jobs miss you from the planet have you with me every day on earth" - actor Danny DeVito.
- "It's crazy to think about how many people are sharing the news of Steve Jobs' death using devices he invented" - Matt Cherette or @mattchew03, on Twitter.
- "It's not too much to say he literally changed our world" - Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
- "Boss Jobs, have a good journey. Your products changed the world. Your thinking influenced a generation" - Kai-fu Lee, founder of technology incubator Innovation Works and former president of Google China.
- "His innovative spirit and remarkable accomplishments will forever be remembered by people around the world" - GS Choihe, head of technology rival Samsung, despite the South Korean firm's bitter patent row with Apple.
- "His legacy will extend far beyond the products he created or the businesses he built. It will be the millions of people he inspired, the lives he changed, and the culture he defined" - Walt Disney boss Robert A Iger.
- "Steve died peacefully today surrounded by his family... In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family" - family statement.