ANC: Media exaggerates our problems
Johannesburg - The media has exaggerated problems with the nomination of ANC candidates for the May 18 local government elections, the ANC in Gauteng said on Wednesday.
"The new approach to the list process, especially community involvement, has not received a fair assessment by the media," provincial secretary David Makhura told reporters in Johannesburg.
"Few instances of disgruntlement in some provinces are presented as the 'chaos of the ANC list process'."
Makhura said the problem did not hit Gauteng as hard as it had other parts of the country.
"The democratic nature of the list process has not stopped those who lost to try and organise a section of their supporters to protest against candidates who were legitimately nominated."
There was also "nothing unusual" about disgruntled ANC members contesting independently.
"We have been going to different communities to clarify confusion and lies spread by those few in our branches who refuse to accept democracy," Makhura said.
"These elements stand no chance in winning any ward in ANC strongholds."
Protests erupted across the country over the nomination of ANC candidates - who were selected for the first time with community involvement.
President Jacob Zuma last month announced that a team would be set up to probe how popular candidates were removed from the ANC's candidate lists.