Drop in ANC support 'not Zuma's fault'
Johannesburg - President Jacob Zuma cannot be held personally responsible for the ANC's drop in support in municipal elections last week, a party spokesperson said on Tuesday.
"There's been a lot said in the weekend media... the Sunday Times was even saying his [Zuma's] position for a second term has been weakened," said African National Congress spokesperson Brian Sokutu.
"However, whatever decisions the ANC takes, he [Zuma] also forms part of the collective. The three percent drop in the vote cannot squarely be put on Zuma alone."
South Africa held its fourth post-apartheid local government elections last week.
The ANC won 63.65% of the vote, the Democratic Alliance 21.97%, the Inkatha Freedom Party 3.94%, the National Freedom Party 2.58% and the Congress of the People 2.33%.
The DA gained support in eight out of nine provinces, while ANC support declined in most provinces, except KwaZulu-Natal.
In the last municipal elections in 2006, the ANC secured 66.3% of the vote and the DA 14.8%.
The ANC is set to hold its national congress next year, where its leader for the following five years will be elected.