Shacks razed in fires

2016-12-01 06:00
 Residents of Cossovo infomal settlement in Samora Machel are busy rebuilding their structure after a fire razed them to the ground on Tuesday.                                                                                         PHOTO: Lulekwa Mbadamane

Residents of Cossovo infomal settlement in Samora Machel are busy rebuilding their structure after a fire razed them to the ground on Tuesday. PHOTO: Lulekwa Mbadamane

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

More than 100 residents in Cossovo informal Settlement were forced to rebuild their homes yesterday morning after their shacks burnt to the ground.

The raging fire, which engulfed the Samora Machel settlement, devoured 88 shacks on Tuesday afternoon.

Residents alleged that one of them must have left her house with the stove on.

Xolani Joja, a community leader said: “She was cooking when the stove caught fire and the house was engulfed in flames.”

Residents claimed she was cooking a very fatty sausage, which has the tendency to spill fat when cooked.

He said that this was the third fire in the area since the beginning of the year, fortunately, there had been no reported injuries or fatalities.

“No one has been reported injured or deceased and many people are rebuilding their homes.

“It’s sad because many people lost their belongs because the fire took place while they were at work.

“They couldn’t save their goods.

“This is particularly painful as people are looking forward to the festive season,” said Joja.

He said that they were working with the city and home affairs department to make sure that people receive accommodation, building materials as well as their identification documents.

“Unfortunately the only solution to shack fires is the building of proper houses for the people and we are confident that the City and other stakeholders are working hard to make this a possibility,” said Joja.

This loss was preceded by another shack fire that took place on Saturday afternoon in New Rest informal settlement in Nyanga where 10 shacks were destroyed.

On Wednesday the local ward councillor Siphiwo Nqamnduku was on the scene waiting for disaster relief.

“People from the housing department, we are also waiting for people to gather what is left so that we can start the identity document process.

We are trying our best to assist,” said Nqamnduku.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.