Family unharmed after fire in room

2015-07-22 06:00
LUCKY: Fezakiah Remmelien with the chair that was burned by an unattended candle.               
Sidwell Guduka

LUCKY: Fezakiah Remmelien with the chair that was burned by an unattended candle. Photo: Sidwell Guduka

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A MOTHER and her baby escaped unhurt after a candle had caused a fire in her bedroom.

The incident happened in Bergman Square, Mangaung, Bloemfontein, on Wednesday night (08/07).

Fezakiah Remmelien (20), her baby boy Rechane (six months) and her younger sister Yolanda (19) were asleep in the same bedroom at their home when a fire broke out.

The fire was apparently caused by a candle that had been left burning on top of a chair next to their bed. The candle melted and burned the chair before setting fire to a towel that was hanging over the chair.

The three managed to escape unhurt from the roaring flames.

“Eskom had cut the electricity in our area that night.

“We lit a candle and put it on top of a chair to light up the bedroom. It was attached to a plastic cap of a tea flask,” Fezakiah told Express.

“We fell asleep while the candle was still burning. We were awoken by our aunt Isabella (Grootboom) who was sleeping in the other bedroom after she had smelled smoke in the house. We heard her screaming something about fire and jumped from our bed. I grabbed Rechane as I ran from the room,” she said.

“There was a big fire and the room was filled with smoke. We were all frightened. Luckily our bed didn’t catch fire. Otherwise, we would have been hurt. I thank God that nobody were injured,” she added.

Fezakiah said Isabella was their heroine on the night as she had saved their lives. She managed to put out the fire with water before it could spread.

“We want to thank her for saving our lives. She is our heroine. Who knows what would have happened if she had not been in the house at the time?” asked Fezakiah. We normally sleep very late but we went to bed at around 19:00 as there was load shedding on Wednesday. We were frustrated because we couldn’t watch our favourite soapies,” she said.

When asked to give advice to people who use candles, Fezakiah said: “Candles should always be fully extinguished when you go to bed. People should also ensure that they put burning candles where it is safe and will not cause a fire.”

Rechane was taken to the doctor on Thursday to get medical attention for smoke inhalation

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.