Can I enforce my rights?

2017-05-10 06:00
Ilze Strydom

Ilze Strydom

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories


In terms of the settlement agreement with my ex-husband, which was incorporated into the court order, the children reside with him and I am entitled to regular contact.

My ex-husband however now does not allow me to see the children or let them spend weekends and holidays with me.

How can I enforce the settlement agreement?


The parental rights and responsibilities of parents and the interests of children are governed by the Child-ren’s Act 38 of 2005 (“Children’s Act”) which dictates that the best interests of the child is always of paramount importance and must be the determining factor when any dispute regarding a child’s rights, or a parent’s rights in respect of the child, are to be decided.

Section 35 of the Children’s Act states that any person having care of a child and who refuses or prevents another person who has contact rights to that child or who holds parental responsibilities and rights in respect of that child in terms of an order or agreement to exercise such rights or responsibilities, is guilty of an offence.

In other words the section criminalises the refusal or prevention of the exercise of such access or parental responsibilities and rights.

A person found guilty of this offence can be liable to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year.

In your situation it appears that the court confirmed settlement agreement is not being complied with.

This then leaves you with the following options to enforce your rights:

You can institute contempt of court proceedings, which could result in the other party being impri-soned.

You can either lay a complaint with the police, in which case the matter will proceed as a criminal matter, should the Director of Public Prosecutions decide to prosecute, or you can bring an application for contempt of court in the High Court.

A party seeking an order of contempt must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a court order was granted, that the other party has knowledge of the order and that the other party is not complying with the order.

The party not complying with the order must then prove that his non-compliance with the order was not wilful and in bad faith.

It should be noted though that the fact that a parent is in contempt does not mean that a court as upper guardian of children, will automatically enforce the existing order, if it would not be in the best interests of the child involved that the terms of the order are executed.

It is strongly advised that you seek the help of an attorney to assist you on the best course of action to enforce your rights.

  • Ilze Strydom, director, Phatshoane Henney Attorneys

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Partner Content
How data is changing investments

Technological disruption is rife in many spheres of business and given the quantity of data available, it’s no surprise that the way in which asset managers work is also changing fast.

Behind the sparkle

Alluring, beautiful and timeless - diamonds are some of the most sought after gems in the world and are a true testament of everlasting brilliance. Let us take you behind the sparkle to show you the history behind this coveted jewel.


Does your dog have separation anxiety?

We've got tips, advice and how to help your dog



Fascinating facts about dogs
Perfectly captured cat snapchats!
Out with the old dog, in with the new
Play with your pet when you're not at home
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.