Five up for murder

2016-11-09 06:00
The late Alfred “Chencha” Helepi (left) with former teammate Trott Moloto. Photo: Supplied

The late Alfred “Chencha” Helepi (left) with former teammate Trott Moloto. Photo: Supplied

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The case of slain footballer and tavern owner Alfred “Chencha” Helepi is set to continue in the Bloemfontein High Court on Thursday (10/11) with five suspects appearing.

The five suspects have been in custody since their arrest by the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI), the Hawks, in connection with the brutal murder of Helepi (70).

The suspects were nabbed days after the murder of the former Moroka Swallows player at his house in Phahameng in April this year.

The five suspects include three Lesotho nationals and two South African citizens.

The Lesotho nationals are Dira Moreenyane (32), Nthabiseng Lempe (32) and Alice Majake (27), who was employed by the deceased to work at the place of entertainment.

The two South Africans are Ntsane Togowe (37) from Rocklands in Bloemfontein and Banzini Gxamza (33) from Port Elizabeth in the Eastern Cape.

All of them are facing three charges: housebreaking with the intent to commit crime, robbery with aggravating circumstances and the murder of Helepi.

Phaladi Shuping, spokesperson of the National Prosecuting Authority in the Free State, said the trial was rescheduled on 29 September to the new date for further investigation.

He said investigations revealed that Gxamza had been on the run since 2012, as he was wanted for housebreaking and theft.

He said a warrant of arrest for Gxamza was issued on 27 November 2012 by police in the Eastern Cape.

Gxamza’s arrest in connection with the killing of Helepi led the police to tracing his alleged crimes to his home town of Port Elizabeth.

According to the police, Helepi had been attacked while in his bathroom and was shot three times in his upper body and legs.

His attackers then fled, using his vehicle.

The vehicle had later been found abandoned in Phelindaba, Bloemfontein.

The armed assailants reportedly overpowered Helepi’s employees and then afterwards shot the footballer three times at close range.

The state has since turned down the five suspects’ bail application.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.