Men sentenced for gang-related murders

2017-08-16 06:01
Seven young men, associated with two of the numerous notorious gangs in Welkom, hide their faces after their sentencing on Friday (11/08). Photo: Supplied

Seven young men, associated with two of the numerous notorious gangs in Welkom, hide their faces after their sentencing on Friday (11/08). Photo: Supplied

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Seven young men have received life impri-sonment for the brutal murder of Lebo- hang Hector Kase and Innocent Mzwandile Klaas.

These seven are associated with two of the numerous notorious gangs in Welkom.

The Virginia Magistrate’s Court sentenced the killers on Friday (11/08) after finding them guilty of the murders.

Kase (19) was a gr. 10 learner at the Thotagauta Secondary School.

His killers burnt his body behind a shopping centre in a crime-ridden informal settlement of Freedom Square in Thabong and his body was found on 31 January 2016.

Klaas reportedly died in a local hospital due to multiple stab wounds following a brutal attack.

Brig. Motantsi Makhele, Free State police spokesperson, said investigation established that both deceased belonged to gang groupings.

Kase was a member of the International Street Kids (ISK) and Klaas a member of Gangsters 10 (G10).

Makhele said the court found the seven accused guilty on a count of murder and the contravention of Section 9 (1)(a) of The Prevention of Organised Crime Act (POCA) 121 of 1998 – Gang Related Offences.

The accused are Teboho John Hlalele (26) from Ext 15 Bronville, Thapelo Edward Lepheane (20) from Freedom Square, Thapelo Tshabalala (23) and Teboho Ernest Hlakanelo (23) both from Ext 19 Bronville, Mahlomola Johnie Thabiso Motaung (23) from Ext 2 Rheederspark, Siphumelele Madlebe (20) from Freedom Square and Richard Teboho Moletsane (23) from Thabong.

Makhele said presiding judge Lepono Lekale showed no mercy sentencing the killers to life on the mentioned offences.

He said the successful outcome followed the prosecution by state prosecutor Antoinette Ferreira.

Makhele said initially eight suspects had been arrested.

“The court acquitted one of the accused on all counts,” said Makhele.

He attributed the success in finalising the case to the sterling work by the investigators, Det. WO Brian Mtileni and Const Bonisile Mvangeli of the Thabong police.

“The sterling detective work enabled them to establish that the two murder incidents had been gang related and were committed by a grouping belonging to RAF 3 and International Junior Portuguese”.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.