Umshwathi leaders condemn protestors’ rampage

2016-09-14 06:00
The Umshwati Municipal building that was destroyed by Ward 2 protestors.

The Umshwati Municipal building that was destroyed by Ward 2 protestors.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

DAMAGE estimated at R10 million, when a group of Umshwati Ward 2 residents went on the rampage, was loudly condemned by Umshwati and provincial officials last week.

On Monday night Ward 2 protestors burnt the municipal offices in New Hanover and then moved to the Department of Transport offices­ where they set fire to a water­ truck, bakkie and TLB tractor.

The group then moved to the Department of Social Development where they destroyed three government­ vehicles.

Sibusiso Mkhithi Umshwati Communications Manager, Sibusiso Mkhiti told the Greytown Gazette­ that Ward 2 community members had submitted a list of grievances to the municipality on l9 August, including a demand for a clinic in the ward, the need for a grave yard and the removal of the Ward councillor, Mr Phillip Dlada.

Mr Mkhthi said: “All the grievances were brought to the attention of municipal management, which responded to the organising committee. Following on management’s response, a spokesman for the organising committee said that committee members had distanced themselves from the burning and destruction carried out by the protestors.

In addition, the organising committee members had committed themselves to working with management to resolve problems affecting the community peacefully without violence­ and destruction of property.

Umshwathi Mayor, Siphindile Zondi-Mbhele condemned the violence stating: “No matter what kind of dissatisfaction the community members have we cannot tolerate the burning of government property – this is highly disturbing to progress and service delivery” .

Five people were arrested by New Hanover SAPS and appeared in the New Hanover Magistrate’s Court on 8 and 12 September.

They were refused bail as the police continue to investigate. The case has been remanded to 15 September when a bail application will be heard. The suspects have been transferred from New Hanover Police Station to New Prison in Pietermaritzburg.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.