Fire safety tips - stay safe this winter

2016-06-21 06:00
 Photo: supplied Fireplace - ensure that you make the fire small enough to be able to control.

Photo: supplied Fireplace - ensure that you make the fire small enough to be able to control.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

ER24 is urging people to remember safety first when trying to stay warm this winter.

It is not uncommon for emergency personnel to get called out to residential fires especially during winter. Often, paramedics treat people for smoke inhalation or severe burn injuries.

Overloading of plugs, makeshift fires left unattended and the incorrect or negligent use of heaters are some of the contributing factors to fires.

You can avoid injury as well as loss of property by ensuring proper safety measures are in place. Below are some tips:

Heater safety
· Ensure that your heater is in good working order and that cords and other components are not damaged. If you use a gas heater, inspect it to ensure there are no leaks. If valves, pipes or other components of the heater are damaged, either replace the parts that can be replaced or buy a new heater.

· Leaking gas is extremely dangerous and may result in an explosion. If you suspect a leak or if you are unsure, rather seek the assistance of a professional. Gas cylinders must be filled or exchanged at a reputable dealer.

· Ensure that there is proper ventilation when using gas heaters or other fuel burning appliances for example. Outdoor heaters should not be used indoors. Flammable liquids meant for other purposes should not be used to start a fire.

· Never leave a heater unattended while it is still on.

· Do not place heaters on carpets or too close to curtains, couches and other items that could easily be set alight.

· Do not use makeshift heaters, stoves included, to keep warm.
Plugs and electric blankets

· Ensure plugs are not overloaded or damaged.

· Before using an electrical blanket, ensure that it is not torn and that there is no mould, visible damage to cables or burn marks on the blanket. If any of these are present, replace the blanket.
Fireplace

· If you have a fireplace, ensure you maintain it. Have the chimney inspected and cleaned, preferably by a professional.

· Ensure that you make the fire small enough to be able to control. This will also reduce the chances of flames spreading out of the fireplace.

· Ensure that there is proper ventilation in the room.

· Put an appropriate screen in front of the fireplace to safeguard your family from possible burns as well as to prevent embers from jumping out.

· Keep flammable items away from your fireplace. Ensure you extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving home.

· Keep a small household fire extinguisher near the fireplace. Make sure that everyone in the family knows how to use it.
Additional safety measures

· It is important to install smoke detectors and to test them regularly to ensure that they work.

· Keep a fire extinguisher at home.

· Check your windows and ensure that they open easily. You may need to use a window as an escape should there be a fire.

· Keeping a ladder at home is advised especially if you live in a multi-storey house.

· Have an escape plan. Ensure all members of the family know what to do and where to go in case of a fire at home. Ensure all emergency exits are clear.

· In case of a fire at home, sound the fire alarm if you have one and call emergency services. Exit the building. If caught in a smoke-filled room, get as low as possible to the ground and exit the house. You can also cover your mouth and nose with a moist cloth if you are able to, to reduce smoke inhalation.

General fire safety

· Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.

· Candles are a common cause of residential fires. Candles are often used instead of a flashlight when there is a power outage or even in instances where people do not have electricity. Often, the candle is placed in a plastic makeshift holder or simply stuck down on a table without a holder. Lit candles should be put in a proper non-flammable holder that cannot easily be bumped or blown over by the wind. It should also not be placed near curtains or anything flammable. Do not leave a candle burning if you go to bed or leave the property. Also, never leave children unattended near a lit candle or any fire for that matter.

The ER24 Emergency Contact Centre can be reached on 084 124 for any medical emergency.
- Supplied.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Jordaan missing in action

2016-09-25 00:00

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.