Hact celebrates World Aids Day

2015-12-08 06:00
Photo: supplied Sister Cwengi Myeni, the ‘Granny Support’ group’s manager at Hact, lights a candle for one of the 69 patients who died in the respite unit since World Aids Day 2014.

Photo: supplied Sister Cwengi Myeni, the ‘Granny Support’ group’s manager at Hact, lights a candle for one of the 69 patients who died in the respite unit since World Aids Day 2014.

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

PATIENTS, volunteers and staff gathered at the “Memory Wall” in the garden of the Hillcrest Aids Centre Trust’s Respite Unit for a candle-lighting ceremony to commemorate World Aids Day, Tuesday 1 December.

The theme for World Aids Day 2015 is “Getting to zero, end Aids by 2030”.
Julie Hornby, Hact’s nursing services manager, said: “While the world hopes for this, we continue to live with the realities of the HIV/Aids pandemic every day. While the number of new infections has dropped a little, we are all too aware that we are still losing far too many people to this disease.”

Sixty-nine candles were lit and laid out on a table near the wall, which is covered in names of patients who have died since the respite unit opened in 2006. Each burning flame represented a life lost to HIV in the centre’s respite unit since last year’s World Aids Day commemoration.
“Each one of these candles was an active and functioning member of our community who was taken from us all too soon. They were mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers,” said Hornby.
All present at the ceremony also lit a candle in memory of a loved one lost to HIV/Aids and added it to the ever-growing table.

The Hillcrest Aids Centre Trust’s Respite Unit houses 24 patients, seven days a week for 365 days a year. The majority of patients are bedridden due to advanced stages of Aids and opportunistic infections such as meningitis, TB and pneumonia.
It also accepts palliative cancer patients and is the only such unit in the region that provides end-stage palliative care for impoverished Aids patients. On average 150 people are admitted to the unit each year. Of those admitted, roughly 70% of them recover and are discharged, and the other 30% of our patients die with dignity and respect.

If you would like to support the work done by Hact, contact 031 765 5866, email marketing@hillaids.org.za or visit the centre at 26 Old Main Road in Hillcrest.
- Supplied.


Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.