Cogta swindled of R7,5 mln

2015-12-16 06:00

POLICE have embarked on a massive manhunt for a former provincial government employee, believed to be linked to the disappearance of R7,5 million from the Department of Co-operative ­Governance and Traditional Affairs.

The money, which had been ­ring-fenced for a community centre in Bulwer, part of the Ingwe Municipality, went missing last month.

The woman, whose identity is known to The Witness, is said to have “managed to bypass an already complex biometrics procedure for settling government ­invoices”, according to Cogta ­spokesperson Lennox Mabaso.

He said KZN Cogta, in partnership with the Hawks, continue to search for the employee to get more answers, and are investigating whether she was aided by other parties.

The account number was changed ­prior to the payment being made, and the money was diverted into the account of Imvusa Trading.

Sources inside the department said the suspect had got an “unsuspecting” colleague to authorise the payment.

The department picked up the audit trail in the accounting system after ­Ingwe Municipality phoned to inquire about the status of the payment.

The woman is believed to have ­resigned with immediate effect on 26 November and vanished into thin air.

Her colleagues described her as a humble person and could not believe she would do such a thing.

A businessman, Mex Dhladhla, made a brief appearance in the ­Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday in connection with the theft of the R7,5 million.

Dhlahla was granted bail of R50 000.

Investigating officer Brad Swift of the Commercial Crimes Unit of the ­Directorate for Priority Crimes said in an affidavit before court that Dhadhla was implicated in the crime due to the fact that the stolen money was paid into the account of one of his businesses, ­Imvusa Trading 859 CC, of which he is the sole active member.

The money was paid into the account of Imvusa Trading on 11 November.

The R7,5 million has since been ­withdrawn from the account and to date police are unaware of how or where it has been spent.

Dhladhla has elected to invoke his right to remain silent and has not given police any explanation as to how the money ended up in his account, nor its current whereabouts.

Swift did not oppose bail for Dhladhla because he voluntarily handed himself over to investigators in the presence of his attorney after he was informed ­telephonically that they were looking for him.

Magistrate M. Boikhutso granted Dhladhla bail of R50 000 on condition that he report twice weekly to the Hilton police station.

The case has been adjourned to ­1 February, 2016 pending further ­police investigations.

Cogta MEC Nomusa Dube-Ncube welcomed the arrest of the businessman.

“We continue the hunt down of all those involved and we will punish them through our courts. We are following important leads. We are encircling them and there will be no room for escape. We are at their rear and their flanks.

“This is a most unfortunate ­incident and must prompt us in ­government to rethink the way we ­handle monetary transactions.

“The current system where officials, mostly in administration, are responsible for processing payments, some worth millions, to service providers warrants a review so that government minimise the risks of falling prey to scams of this nature,” said Dube-Ncube.

“While financial transactions in government are constantly being made more secure because of the amount of money in circulation between ­government and its service providers, government remains an attractive target for criminals.

“We assure the public that we will leave no stone unturned in ensuring that those behind this gross act of fraud are brought to book.”

She said they have also asked the Hawks to investigate whether a ­possibility exists of a syndicate preying on officials with access to government transactions and system procedures. “This disturbing trend started in a few municipalities and was thwarted, but now seems to be migrating to the other levels of government.”

Police spokesperson Mthokozisi ­Ngobese said the case was opened by a manager at Cogta and that police will continue to search for the suspect.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.