BAIC expects first cars from SA plant in 2018

2017-10-04 06:00
< BAIC SA senior representative, Sun Tongli, shows off the BAIC SUV X55.   Photos:Thandi Setokoe

< BAIC SA senior representative, Sun Tongli, shows off the BAIC SUV X55. Photos:Thandi Setokoe

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

THE Chinese vehicle manufacturer, Beijing Automotive Group (BAIC) together with the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC), recently held a media briefing on the progress of the construction of its vehicle manufacturing plant to be established in the city.

It will be the first new car plant to be built in South Africa in 40 years and is expected to build 50 000 vehicles a year by 2022. BAIC will be the major shareholder, holding 65% of the venture and the IDC will hold the remaining 35%.

Speaking at the briefing, BAIC SA senior representative Sun Tongli said the vehicle assembly plant, which will be implemented in two phases, will comprise an assembly shop, paint shop, office block, energy centre and sewage treatment works.

“The first phase will have installed capacity to assemble up to 50 000 units per annum. This number is expected to double at full capacity in the second phase,” he said.

He added that phase one is anticipated to be completed in the second quarter of next year.

Around two-thirds of the production is earmarked for the export market and the vehicles will include passenger cars, sport utility vehicles, light commercial vehicles and pick-ups both for domestic and export markets.

“One of the keystones of the project is to include the community of Nelson Mandela Bay and the surrounding areas, Uhambiso consultant managing director George Gerber noted. He further said that the project is aimed at creating approximately 800 direct jobs.

“More than 35% of the R800 million building works budget has been allocated to SMMEs to ensure meaningful and impactful participation of SMMEs.

Project contractor Beijing Industrial Designing and Researching Institute (BIDR) said 80 to 85% of the procurement value for the civil building works will be from SA companies and 15 to 30% of the procurement value for the plant will be from local suppliers.

“BAIC has set a target of 60% local content for the vehicles to roll off the Coega assembly line, while the parts will be sourced from new and existing component manufacturers in SA,” he said.

He added that plans for the vehicle plant also include the future construction of a supplier park in the Coega IDZ to facilitate parts supply.

Construction is several months behind schedule, mainly due to contractor and labour disputes.

“Although the market is tough in South Africa, we do foresee the regional Southern African Development Community market picking up in due course,” IDC regional manager, Kingsley Dell-Robertson remarked.

The plant will be located on 47.3 ha of land under a covered area of 88 969 m2.

SMMEs are encouraged to register on the BIDR procurement database on www.app.bidr.co.za. Tenders are published on www.bidrsouthafrica.co.za.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/Sport
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.